Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there any reaction happens when calcium ion added to calcium hydroxide?

1. Oct 13, 2014 #1
    Silly question lol
    But Is there any reaction if calcium ion added to calcium hydroxide?

If NaOH or any alkali is added to metal ions, insoluble metal hydroxide is formed.
    So, what if weak alkali Calcium hydroxide is added to Calcium ion, what will it happen? Will it has no reaction just like it is added to ammonia solution with the reason of concentration of OH{-} in dilute ammonia is low? Or it becomes part of the calcium hydroxide?Or calcium hydroxide white percipitate will form?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Depends on the initial concentrations. Such a solution is described by the solubility product. Have you heard about it yet?

4. Oct 13, 2014 #3
    Ummm no, havent heard about it :(
    It's about the initial concentration. Does it mean (let say we have Ca(OH)2 and CaCl2) if the Ca(OH)2 has a relative high concentration, then it can form insoluble Ca(OH)2?

5. Oct 13, 2014 #4

Borek

Yes, you should be able to precipitate Ca(OH)2 from the Ca(OH)2 solution just by adding concentrated CaCl2.

However, you can't have Ca(OH)2 with a "relatively high concentration". Ca(OH)2 is weakly soluble, below 2 g per 1L if memory serves me well.

6. Oct 13, 2014 #5
    I see :) Thank you so much!!! :)

7. Oct 13, 2014 #6
    Uh! But …since the concentration of Ca(OH)2 cant be high, than its concentration of OH- (aq) ions in dil. Ca(OH)2 must be low, then, wouldnt it have the same situation as it reacts with dil aqueous ammonia, and does not give precipitate?

8. Oct 13, 2014 #7

Borek

No, that's a different situation. You mentioned "diluted ammonia", I have specifically called for concentrated CaCl2.

Doesn't mean concentrated ammonia will be able to precipitate Ca(OH)2. It is rather easy to calculate, but using theory that you don't know yet.

9. Oct 13, 2014 #8
    Ohh (facepalm) sorry for my misunderstanding. Ok, i will let go of it then :p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook