1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What happens when two spinning cylinders come in contact?

1. Nov 26, 2014 #1
    • Member warned about lack of posting template.
    If two spinning cylinders with different MoIs and angular speeds and different radii come in contact with each other at the curved surfaces, how to find out the final angular speeds given all initial parameters?

There will be a friction acting at the line of contact and perpendicular to it as long as the liner speeds of the surfaces differ. However once they are equal, there will be no friction.

I can work it out by taking the angular impulse of friction on individual cylinders. But my question is, can we apply the conservation of angular momentum? I tried that but the expression differs than the one worked out considering the angular impulse of the friction. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In PF the use of the template is mandatory. Gives you an opportunity to tell us which way the things are running: that makes a considerable difference!

And what are Mols of a centrifuge ?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  4. Nov 26, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No. The cylinders (though this is not clearly stated) are presumably mounted on axles, which are held fixed. That implies external forces applied to the system. Since there are two axles, there is no reference point you can use for the angular momentum that will eliminate both forces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted