What hobbies and interests do you have outside academia?

  • Thread starter Thread starter beamie564
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Members
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
144 replies · 22K views
Kevin McHugh said:
I may not be in Zoob's league when it comes to talent, but I like to write poetry. Here is one of my favorites.

Sheeple


Mindless masses grazing
On the spoon fed pablum of media whores
Regurgitated garbage greedily gulped down by the
Plain vanilla sheeple whose fleece is ignorance
You can hear the sheeple bleating
I have nothing to hide the law I abide
Constant refrain droned and intoned until
The foggy veil of myopia envelops their fragile existence
Jack booted wolves mill among the flock unnoticed
Hungrily eying the unconcerned and the unaware
Herding the multitudes into the land of liberties lost
Like lambs to the slaughter, pass the mint jelly
That's a lovely poem! I'm not much into poetry because I find the symbolism too complicated and, sometimes, irritating, but yours was very entertaining to read.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: James Holland
Physics news on Phys.org
Kevin McHugh said:
I may not be in Zoob's league when it comes to talent, but I like to write poetry. Here is one of my favorites.

Sheeple


Mindless masses grazing
On the spoon fed pablum of media whores
Regurgitated garbage greedily gulped down by the
Plain vanilla sheeple whose fleece is ignorance
You can hear the sheeple bleating
I have nothing to hide the law I abide
Constant refrain droned and intoned until
The foggy veil of myopia envelops their fragile existence
Jack booted wolves mill among the flock unnoticed
Hungrily eying the unconcerned and the unaware
Herding the multitudes into the land of liberties lost
Like lambs to the slaughter, pass the mint jelly
that is great.
personally i like Dulche et decorem est by Wilfred Ownen and Ozymandias Percy Bysshe Shelley
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: diogenesNY
ProfuselyQuarky said:
That's a lovely poem! I'm not much into poetry because I find the symbolism too complicated and, sometimes, irritating, but yours was very entertaining to read.

James Holland said:
that is great.
personally i like Dulche et decorem est by Wilfred Ownen and Ozymandias Percy Bysshe Shelley

Thank you both for the kind words.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
phinds said:
My site gets 15,000 unique visitors per month.

:bow:

My "tramspotting" site gets about 1,300 per month. Probably says something about the relative popularity of the two hobbies. I've sometimes said, "You know how most people think train buffs are a bit weird? Well, most train buffs probably think people like me are a bit weird." o0)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto, James Holland and ProfuselyQuarky
Kevin McHugh said:
I may not be in Zoob's league when it comes to talent, but I like to write poetry. Here is one of my favorites.

Sheeple


Mindless masses grazing
On the spoon fed pablum of media whores
Regurgitated garbage greedily gulped down by the
Plain vanilla sheeple whose fleece is ignorance
You can hear the sheeple bleating
I have nothing to hide the law I abide
Constant refrain droned and intoned until
The foggy veil of myopia envelops their fragile existence
Jack booted wolves mill among the flock unnoticed
Hungrily eying the unconcerned and the unaware
Herding the multitudes into the land of liberties lost
Like lambs to the slaughter, pass the mint jelly
I'd have to Google several words to understand fully, but it sounds interesting as a whole. You've got talent for modern art.
 
jtbell said:
:bow:

My "tramspotting" site gets about 1,300 per month. Probably says something about the relative popularity of the two hobbies. I've sometimes said, "You know how most people think train buffs are a bit weird? Well, most train buffs probably think people like me are a bit weird." o0)
Your site's cool . . . so you're also into stamp collecting? :smile:
 
ProfuselyQuarky said:
so you're also into stamp collecting?

I belong to both APS's: American Physical Society and American Philatelic Society. So if you know Ernest Rutherford's famous quote about physics and stamp collecting, that means I ought to know everything. :oldwink:

I haven't worked on my stamp collection for a while, though. For the last few years, when I go to stamp shows, I've been mainly looking at the exhibits and concentrating on the postcard dealers. After I retire, maybe I'll have some time to go through my collection and update my want lists.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto
jtbell said:
:bow:

My "tramspotting" site gets about 1,300 per month. Probably says something about the relative popularity of the two hobbies. I've sometimes said, "You know how most people think train buffs are a bit weird? Well, most train buffs probably think people like me are a bit weird." o0)
I love trains and do not think you are weird
i am firstly far far to weird to judge and also just being uncommon dose not mean its bad i have never met anyone who i know to like trams doesn't mean their aren't many out there.
 
anyone like studio Ghibli films?
i think their great.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: meBigGuy and einswine
James Holland said:
anyone like studio Ghibli films?
i think their great.
Especially Spirited Away, but I like all the Miyazaki films.

My Hobby (so I can play while others sleep):
pmpgn4d35cyaqomwprxv.jpg
 
meBigGuy said:
My Hobby (so I can play while others sleep)
That's so kind of you, meBigGuy :biggrin:
 
My hobbies include playing tuba, collecting/pinning insects, growing bonsai trees, and collecting fossils. If it counts as a hobby I also like to play a lot of Kerbal Space Program.
 
Last edited:
Kevin McHugh said:
I may not be in Zoob's league when it comes to talent, but I like to write poetry. Here is one of my favorites.

Sheeple


Mindless masses grazing
On the spoon fed pablum of media whores
Regurgitated garbage greedily gulped down by the
Plain vanilla sheeple whose fleece is ignorance
You can hear the sheeple bleating
I have nothing to hide the law I abide
Constant refrain droned and intoned until
The foggy veil of myopia envelops their fragile existence
Jack booted wolves mill among the flock unnoticed
Hungrily eying the unconcerned and the unaware
Herding the multitudes into the land of liberties lost
Like lambs to the slaughter, pass the mint jelly

Your style is like mine. Here's one I wrote yesterday. http://patrickpowers.deviantart.com/

The Tunisian Tuna Tsunami

A Toonerville Trolley of refugee escapees
African bees clambering ducklike entering foreign government homeland insider junctures
Klammering lividly downhill at risky bottom speed
An avalanche of hooked meat

Flopping on the party line of future endeavors
Futilely flailing for filched documents
Striving to become EU tax cattle
Pursuing this relative euphoria

A caroming clattering klezmer improv of bribes and brides
Accompanied by friends and relations
An anti-abduction from an addled seralgio
Ignited by the cold of the sea

Men tightroped into tornado turnaround implosion
Failures and capsized abattoirs of fishy backwash
Bitwise wisdom tracked by
Dominant satellite networks

Approaching protected borders
Poached upon by yeggs
Pockmarked panels holding out sea walls
Sometimes
Sometimes not

Political dynamite
A kieselgur diatomatious absorbed TNT for the stuck up
The rear of the body politic
Full of earth
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
Watching films, sitcoms, cartoons, listening to music, playing video games, mostly shooters, surfing the Internet, staying on social networks, this kind of things
 
Competitive rowing. For some reason, never heard from another PF'er who does same.
 
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Nobody else likes to draw :frown:
I used to draw more. Here's one from a while back that isn't too bad.
savik.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ISamson, ProfuselyQuarky, QuantumQuest and 1 other person
ISamson said:
Electronics, judo, reading.
I used to do some electronics as a hobby, but that was back in the day when you still could pop over to the local Radio Shack to pick up components, and hobbyist magazines like Radio-Electronics(ended in 2003) and Popular Electronics(ended in 1985) were still in print( I actually got a circuit printed in the reader submission section of the second of these mags). I still do quite a bit of reading.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ISamson
Recently I've been listening to a lot of music... also love to play almost any sport, especially basketball and soccer.
 
@davenn

Any idea what this may be?

Front:
Fos-front.jpg

Back:
Fos-back.jpg
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Front: leaf/fern print/fossil. Back: sandstone concretion.
 
  • Informative
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff and BillTre