What I want is the uncertainty in the coefficients

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Winzer
Messages
597
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I was given a set of data from a Ion engine experiment. I fitted the data with an 8th order polynomial that seems pretty reasonable. What I want is the uncertainty in the coefficients.
One way I read was through the design matrix.

Homework Equations


[tex]C_{ij}=(A^T A)^{-1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


The square root of the diagonals give the uncertainties. But my matrix in not invertible since its not square.
What am I missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Winzer said:

Homework Statement


I was given a set of data from a Ion engine experiment. I fitted the data with an 8th order polynomial that seems pretty reasonable. What I want is the uncertainty in the coefficients.
One way I read was through the design matrix.

Homework Equations


[tex]C_{ij}=(A^T A)^{-1}[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution


The square root of the diagonals give the uncertainties. But my matrix in not invertible since its not square.
What am I missing?

The matrix A may not be square, but

[tex](A^T A)[/tex]

is square, so it's invertible.
 
The Electrician said:
The matrix A may not be square, but

[tex](A^T A)[/tex]

is square, so it's invertible.
Thank you. Yes it turns out square but the inverse gives me problems.
Maybe I am using the command wrong.
Here are the results of a test.

I threw in .1 just for error sake. My model is a+bx+cx^2. The uncertainties are suppose to be given by the square root of the diagonals of
[tex](A^T A)^{-1}[/tex] A being the design matrix.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 450
Never mind I got it.
I was able to find the covariance matrix and the associated uncertainties. I feel stupid.