Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What if inertial mass did NOT = grav. mass?

1. Jul 10, 2006 #1
    What if inertial mass did NOT equal gravitational mass?

How would our normal daily existence be different?

Most interesting and creative answer wins !

[Edit: This is intended to be a fun question to answer, but I'm hoping to learn something quite serious from it. The force of attraction between two charged particles is a function of their charge and distance apart. The resistance to that force is the inertial mass of the particles, which has little to do with the charge. The stronger the charges (assuming oppositely charged) and the shorter the distance, the greater the acceleration. The greater the inertial mass, the less the acceleration. Similarly with magnetic bodies. The acceleration due to magnetic attraction is resisted by the inertial mass, having little to do with magntism.

Not so for accleration due to gravity, where the attraction and resistance are both due to mass (given the equivalence of gravitational and inertial mass).

If they weren't equivalent, how would the simple act of walking, or throwing a baseball or driving a car, or flying a rocket to the moon, be different?]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2006 #2
    Eotvos would be coming to haunt you (being Transylvanian, he was related to Dracula)

4. Jul 11, 2006 #3
    Let's put aside charge for a moment, and relativistic speeds. Mass is a measure of resistance to change in motion.

When we talk about inertial mass, we're usually looking at a stationary mass and thinking about applying a force to get it moving. So we give it a push, and we measure the force applied and the time we applied it for, whereupon we see our object accelerating by a measured amount. We then calculate the inertial mass as a relation between the force, time and acceleration.

When we talk about gravitational mass, the force acting on our object is gravity instead of pushing. It's a different type of force, but it's the same object. How can that object exhibit a different resistance to change in motion to one flavour of force compared with another? It can't. Force is force.

OK, the magnitude of the force might vary with the distance from another mass, then catching a ball might come with a late rush and a click, like you were catching a magnet with a magnet. And then it would be real hard to throw the ball away. But that's a whole different kettle of fish from what you were asking. And I can't see how what you were asking makes sense. Even on the moon.

5. Jul 11, 2006 #4
    Gravitational mass and inertial mass need not be equal, just proportional. If they are not proportional then the rate at which an object falls will depend on the inertial and gavitational mass. The equivalence principle woulf then no longer hold to be true.

Pete

6. Jul 11, 2006 #5
    Heavier objects would fall faster than lighter objects.

7. Jul 11, 2006 #6
    Now that's got me thinking. Does anybody know the answer to this:

If we held two earth-sized planets ten miles apart and then let go, would their surfaces accelerate towards one another at 9.8ms-2 ?

8. Jul 11, 2006 #7
    10 miles is barely any distance. But assuming an ideal situation, yes, they will have the same accelaration. Gm/r^2 will be same in both cases. It's symmetrical...you can't expect one to move faster than the other.

9. Jul 11, 2006 #8
    I was wondering if they'd accelerate towards one another at a combined closing of rate of 19.6ms-2.

10. Jul 11, 2006 #9

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The gravitational forces cancel, so of course there would be no acceleration towards each other or in any other direction, at least for the surfaces that are 10 miles apart.

By the way, holding the planets apart might be kind of tough on your wrists.

Carl

11. Jul 11, 2006 #10
    Farsight - I think Neutrino is right. Unless they were in mutual orbit, the gravitational acceleration between two Earth-sized planets positioned only 10 miles apart should be approx. 9.8 m/s^2 in total. Both would move towards the center of mass of the two (halfway in between) at about 4.9 m/s^2.

Reasoning: 9.8 m/s^2 is roughly the gravitation acceleration at the surface of the Earth for ANY OBJECT, regardless of its mass. 10 miles, compared to the 4,000+ miles radius of the Earth is not significantly different, so 9.8 is probably still correct to one decimal.

An apple, or an Elephant, or the Moon, or another planet Earth, all if positioned just 10 miles above the Earth, would fall at the same speed (ignoring air resistance). And they all would fall toward their common center of gravity. But with the apple and the Elephant, that center is essentially the center of the Earth since it's so much more massive. And the apple and elephant do most of the accelerating and the Earth barely budges.

But in your example of two Earths, they would both share the acceleration equally because of their identical masses.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  12. Jul 11, 2006 #11
    pym_phy and actionintegral - very insightful responses !!

So, if A) gravitational mass was greater than inertial mass, then Aristotle would have been right all along. . . heavier objects would fall faster than lighter ones.

But if B) inertial mass was greater than gravitational mass, then LIGHER objects would fall faster than HEAVIER objects !!! Wouldn't that be wierd !

Objects falling from great heights might break apart on their fall as the heavier/denser parts seperated from the lighter/less dense parts because of the differential in gravitational forces and inertial forces. ??

Would carrying a 15 lb. bowling ball in one hand and an 8lb. one in the other would feel quite strange, as perhaps the 8lb. ball would be easier to keep from dropping, but would offer more resistance to the change of direction the forward and back motion of your arms as you walked????

Sounds ripe for an Isaac Asimov novel !

13. Jul 11, 2006 #12

Eotvos has demonstrated long ago the equivalence between the "two" masses. Reenactments of the Eotvos experiment have brought the error bars of the experiment towards 10^-20 (see the Eot-Wash experiment). So, if you continue to post, Eotvos' vampire will come hunting and haunting :surprised

And he'll get you!

14. Jul 11, 2006 #13
    Clj4. . . I think you may have misinterpreted the intent behind my question. :-) I have no quarrels with Eotvos, and certainly am not trying to deny that inertial and gravitational mass are equal. Of course they are equal.

I just thought it was in interesting question to contemplate what it would be like if we had been born into a universe where they were somehow not equal.

Plus, sometimes it helps me understand things better if I can contemplate what it would be like if the laws of nature were reversed somehow.

But I'll offer my offical appologies to Eotvos if in case I've offended him (or you).

:-)

15. Jul 11, 2006 #14
    Yes, I understood. I thought it was a contest for the funniest answers.

:blushing:

16. Jul 12, 2006 #15
    Oh yeah. . . . in that case, you clearly win !

:-)

17. Jul 14, 2006 #16
    No. The 9.8ms-2 refers to test particles falling in the gravitational field of earth assuming that the motion of the earth can be neglected. Thus a coffee cup would fall at 9.8ms-2 but Jupiter wouldn't. In fact Jupiter's mass is so much larger than earth's that earth would fall in Jupiter's gravitational field as if Jupiter was at rest. Then the earth would fall at a different acceleration. The rate a body falls depends on where the body is. A body such as the Earth would not fall as if the entire mass was located at its center unless the field was uniform enough so that spacetime curvature could be ignored.

Pete

18. Jul 14, 2006 #17
    pmb, or anybody: Supposing I dropped a test particle into a black hole and timed its initial fall, then calculated its acceleration at 9.8ms-2. Now if I repeat this test replacing the test particle with a black hole identical to the other one, would the two black holes accelerate towards one another at 9.8ms-2?

19. Jul 14, 2006 #18
    No.

Pete

20. Jul 14, 2006 #19

turbo

Gold Member

There is a project under way at CERN to produce and study neutral anti-hydrogen. A key experiment in this project is the comparison of the gravitational infall rates of neutral antihydrogen and hydrogen. This is a critical test of the weak equivalence principal. Not a funny answer, but the most relevant I could come up with.

http://alpha.web.cern.ch/alpha/overview.html

21. Jul 20, 2006 #20
    If inertial mass is not equal gravitational mass, general relativity changes in general objectivity. Therefore uniformly accelerated elevator is not equal to homogeneous gravitational field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?