What if the Principle of Least Action were different?

In summary, a world in which the Principle of Least Action minimized a different quantity than KE - PE would have physical systems accelerating apart from one another.
crastinus
What would the world be like if the Principle of Least Action were different? Let's say that it minimized a different quantity than KE - PE.

EF Taylor et al argue that if the quantity minimized were KE + PE, physical systems would accelerate apart from one another. Here's their short articlet; they reach this conclusion about a third of the way through (147-149): http://www.eftaylor.com/pub/ForceEnergyPredictMotion.pdf

What if PLA minimized KE/PE or KE * PE? What would the world look like in each case?

(Of course, some people think the PLA is just a neat formalism. I'm not one of them.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you derive the corresponding equations of motion? Then check what they would give as dynamics.

I'm not sure you even get equations of motion, as neither KE/PE nor KE*PE have units of energy.

You would need a principle of least energy-squared or scalar "action", but blindly appliying the rules for conventional physics should lead to some equations.

You'll get something, but I don't think they'll necessarily be equations of motion - i.e. will not lead to an x(t).

crastinus said:
What would the world be like if the Principle of Least Action were different? Let's say that it minimized a different quantity than KE - PE.

EF Taylor et al argue that if the quantity minimized were KE + PE, physical systems would accelerate apart from one another. Here's their short articlet; they reach this conclusion about a third of the way through (147-149): http://www.eftaylor.com/pub/ForceEnergyPredictMotion.pdf

What if PLA minimized KE/PE or KE * PE? What would the world look like in each case?

(Of course, some people think the PLA is just a neat formalism. I'm not one of them.)

I dunno, but Greg Egan put a lot of work into figuring out what a world with an x^2+y^2+z^2+t^2 metric would be like. It's all on his website under "orthogonal universe."

"What if PLA minimized KE/PE or KE * PE?" You would have a hard row to hoe trying to get those units to make sense. My guess is that the action has to be a bilinear operator, otherwise things start to depend on choice of units and nothing makes sense.

I'm not sure that we can say some set of units doesn't make sense just because they do not map to units that we understand well. In fact, one way to see the whole question is to take it as being about what the world would be like if the relevant units were different.

" . . . blindly appliying the rules for conventional physics should lead to some equations."

Let me try something like that, although not aiming to get equations of motion.

If by hypothesis S = ∫Ldt, L=KE × PE, and δS = 0, then δ∫(KE × PE)dt = 0.

So, if the rate of change of either KE or PE is 0, then in such a world either KE or PE is constant. What would the world be like if either KE or PE could not change? Could there be interactions in the sense that we know at all? Change (as we know it) would seem to be impossible in some sense.

Again, if by hypothesis S = ∫Ldt, L=KE/PE, and δS = 0, then δ∫(KE/PE)dt = 0.

So, the rate of change of
PE can't ever be 0 in such a world, and the rate of change of KE must be 0, i.e. KE must be a constant, in that world. What would a world be like in which every system had the same kinetic energy and no system's potential energy ever stopped changing? What I can think of is a world of particles of the same type beginning from an origin, all accelerating away from one another; KE is the same for each, and PE keeps decreasing but never reaches 0.

I don't know. That's what I came up with.

Maybe you're right, though, that the units involved make my inferences invalid. I tried to keep everything as much the same as possible, while seeing just what it might be like in such strange cases.

crastinus said:
So, if the rate of change of either KE or PE is 0
Why? A product can stay constant if both factors vary at the same time in the right way.
Same question for the ratio, but there I'm worried about zero potential with an arbitrary potential definition.

Let's consider KE/PE. We want to minimize this, and since KE is positive and PE can be negative, the solution in most cases will be to make KE as large as possible and PE as small and negative as possible. Defining kinetic energy as 1/2 mv^2 and for the -1/r potential (note that we no longer have the ability to add an arbitrary offset to potential energy) and the solution is for the particle to flit away to infinity at infinite speed. Not to give you equations of motion.

The solution to "minimizing" the integral over KE-PE in a constant potential is not a stopping particle although that would minimize KE-PE (and also KE+PE and KE*PE and KE/PE if PE is positive).

Thanks for the posts. I need to look more carefully at the math.

I got put on to this question when I started thinking about phase space. I wondered whether, on the analogy of a phase space in the ordinary sense we might also consider a space of phase spaces, let's call it a framespace. This framespace is n dimensional. Each dimension represents some kind of theoretical option for physical properties and movement along a given axis means movement through abstract values for that generalized property (or even through things that are more obviously values like the gravitational constant; e.g. a has some G at x, b has a G at x + k, etc.; where a and b are points along the same axis.) A coordinate within the framespace would be a phase space in which the dimensions represent the different fundamental properties of physical objects in that phase space, mass, charge, etc., as well as the tendencies to obey certain equations of motion, etc. (or however one wants to put that point).

Maybe somebody's already thought of this kind of thing, but isn't that interesting?

What sort of function would we use to go from one phase space to another?

It has been proposed that the laws of physics may themselves evolve: I doubt that, but at any rate this idea of a framespace could actually model such a change. In which case, our universe becomes something like a function in a space of phase spaces!

1. What is the Principle of Least Action?

The Principle of Least Action is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action, which is the integral of the Lagrangian over time. In simpler terms, it means that nature tends to take the most efficient path or route.

2. How is the Principle of Least Action used in physics?

The Principle of Least Action is used to describe the motion of particles and systems in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It is used to derive the equations of motion for a system and to predict the behavior of physical systems.

3. What would happen if the Principle of Least Action were different?

If the Principle of Least Action were different, it would have a significant impact on our understanding of physics and the behavior of physical systems. It could potentially lead to different equations of motion and drastically change our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.

4. Can the Principle of Least Action be disproven or modified?

As a fundamental principle, the Principle of Least Action has been extensively tested and has been found to accurately describe the behavior of physical systems. However, it is always possible that it could be modified or replaced by a more comprehensive theory in the future as our understanding of the universe continues to evolve.

5. What are some alternative theories to the Principle of Least Action?

There are a few alternative theories that have been proposed as alternatives to the Principle of Least Action. These include the Stochastic Optimal Control theory, the Maximum Entropy Production principle, and the Maximum Caliber principle. However, these theories have not gained widespread acceptance and are still being studied and evaluated by the scientific community.