What increases in nucleus as a result of alpha and beta decays

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
DiamondV
Messages
103
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Well one of the questions that I'm not too sure the answer to is what parameter in the nucleus increases as a result of alpha and beta decay.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


Not too sure, I mean atomic number decreases and so does mass number so. But what increases? there's less nucleons in the nucleus so there's less binding energy but there's also less mass. No idea.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
DiamondV said:

Homework Statement


Well one of the questions that I'm not too sure the answer to is what parameter in the nucleus increases as a result of alpha and beta decay.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


Not too sure, I mean atomic number decreases and so does mass number so.

Are you sure about that? What happens when a beta decay occurs?

But what increases? there's less nucleons in the nucleus so there's less binding energy but there's also less mass. No idea.

Not even any attempt at Googling what happens during these decays?