What increases in nucleus as a result of alpha and beta decays

In summary, the atomic number and mass number both decrease during alpha and beta decay. The number of nucleons in the nucleus decreases, leading to less binding energy and mass. However, the specific parameter that increases as a result of these decays is not mentioned and requires further research.
DiamondV

Homework Statement

Well one of the questions that I'm not too sure the answer to is what parameter in the nucleus increases as a result of alpha and beta decay.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not too sure, I mean atomic number decreases and so does mass number so. But what increases? Theres less nucleons in the nucleus so there's less binding energy but there's also less mass. No idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
DiamondV said:

Homework Statement

Well one of the questions that I'm not too sure the answer to is what parameter in the nucleus increases as a result of alpha and beta decay.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not too sure, I mean atomic number decreases and so does mass number so.

Are you sure about that? What happens when a beta decay occurs?

But what increases? Theres less nucleons in the nucleus so there's less binding energy but there's also less mass. No idea.

Not even any attempt at Googling what happens during these decays?

1. What is a nucleus?

A nucleus is the central part of an atom that contains protons and neutrons. It is responsible for the stability and mass of an atom.

2. How does alpha decay affect the nucleus?

During alpha decay, the nucleus emits an alpha particle, which is composed of two protons and two neutrons. This results in the atomic number of the nucleus decreasing by 2 and the mass number decreasing by 4.

3. What changes occur in the nucleus during beta decay?

In beta decay, a neutron in the nucleus changes into a proton and emits an electron and an antineutrino. This results in the atomic number increasing by 1 and the mass number remaining the same.

4. Does the nucleus increase in size after alpha and beta decays?

No, the size of the nucleus remains the same after alpha and beta decays. The changes that occur are in the number of protons and neutrons, not the physical size of the nucleus.

5. How do alpha and beta decays affect the stability of the nucleus?

Alpha and beta decays can both lead to more stable nuclei. Alpha decay reduces the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, while beta decay can change a neutron into a proton, leading to a more stable ratio of protons to neutrons.