Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What integrated circuits, etc. for an amateur?

1. Mar 11, 2017 #1
    I work with max. 18 V, hobby. Don´t want to mess around with AC. Which integrated circuits to buy to learn/ experiment with:
    -comparator
    -opamp
    -voltage regulators
    -voltage stabilizers
    -optocopler
    -CMOS
    -TTL
    -A-D, D-A converters
    -microprocessors
    -temperature sensors
    -timer
    -quartz crystal
    I am learning what these are. It would be good to know which fall in that range and approximately what specifications to buy.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2017 #2
    Hi I cannot define exact parts because that is project specific . I can help you with a partial list of parts that I use. I work mostly in the 3.3 to 12 volt range in my projects.
    Metal film resistors
    Various types of capacitors
    Lm339 quad comparator
    Lm324, lm358 op amp
    Ln380 audio power amp
    Particle Photon (contains A/D and D/A functions)
    74HC logic parts
    555/556 timer
    Various NPN / PNP transistors
    Ltv837c,?4n25 opto coupler

If you google the items you are looking for you will find there are data sheets out there. For example, type "optocoupler data sheet" without the double quotes will get you information on these parts. Good luck

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  4. Mar 12, 2017 #3

Bandit127

Gold Member

If I read your question right I think your first choice needs to be whether you will design and build in CMOS or TTL. The supply voltage range for each can be very different. As can clock speeds and logic voltage levels.

Both a 555 timer circuit and a simple Op Amp were good beginner circuits for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted