What is a complete set of representatives for an equivalence relation on a set?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
geskekj
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Definition: let R be an equivalence relation on a set X. A subset of X containing exactly one element from each equivalence class is called a complete set of representatives. now define a relation R on RxR by (x,y)R(u,v) <---> x^2 + y^2 = u^2 + v^2. You don't have to prove that R is an equivalence relation. Find a complete set of representatives. Carefully justify the answer.

Homework Equations



none

The Attempt at a Solution



I am not sure where to go with this. I know that x^2+y^2 is a circle. I am working with a few other people and this is all we could come up with!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Evidently (x,y)R(u,v) iff (x,y) and (u,v) lie on the same circle centered at the origin. So this tells you precisely what the equivalence classes are.