What is a impressive salary for an Electrical Engineer

In summary, for an Electrical Engineer with 12 years of experience, a respectable salary range would be around $130k per year while an impressive salary would be around $10 million per year. However, factors such as job security, benefits, living conditions, and travel should also be taken into consideration. It is not uncommon for senior engineers with at least 15 years of experience to make around $100k per year, but seeking higher salaries may involve sacrificing job security and a stable lifestyle. Additionally, transitioning into upper management may lead to a higher salary of around $300k per year, but it may also come with increased job stress and travel.
lilikoi
what would you consider an impressive and or respectable salary (range) for an Electrical Engineer with 12 years of experience?

Physics news on Phys.org
Respectable would be ~130k/yr. Impressive would be 10 million/yr.

Respectable for me would be $110k - 115k but I live in a really cheap area of the country (nice new construction at mid $90 a square foot, etc) and I may be biased because I have 7 years experience and that is about the course I am on.

There is much more to the equation than just salary. There are benefits, living conditions, travel, job security, and so on.

The places that offer lower salaries often have much better job security, and decent benefits. Frequent travel may seen exciting when you're younger, but as a family grows, it can really get in the way.

So when discussing 12 years of experience --a lot can happen in 12 years. Your priorities change. Your needs change. If you are an independent contractor, I'd aim to change $200/hr. based upon the notion that you won't be working all the time and you'll need the reserve to tide you over during the dry spells where work may be scarce.

Likewise, you could easily find yourself making less than that if you happen to be working in a company that values longevity and job security. It all depends on what you want. I've been working for the same employer for over 25 years, and I don't make the kind of money that others have quoted. Nevertheless, I have something that many engineers would love: a rock-steady job and interesting work, with occasional travel if I really want it.

It is all about a balance...

Get into upper management ----> 300k

So is it not common to see engineers make 150 k or more ? What do you think the average is with more exp?

lilikoi said:
So is it not common to see engineers make 150 k or more ? What do you think the average is with more exp?

A reasonably competent senior engineer (someone with at least 15 years of experience) shouldn't have too much trouble bringing home a salary around $100k.

HOWEVER, above that point, your job security is likely to be less. Sure, one could do contract work and bring home $200k --but I can just about guarantee that the work won't be steady, that it will be difficult, possibly dangerous, there may be security clearances to obtain and live with, and there will be lots of travel. Most people, when they reach that point in their careers, do not seek a lifestyle like that.

My family matters to me. I do travel for professional associations and the like, but generally I keep the number of overnight trips to around three or four per year.

JakeBrodskyPE said:
A reasonably competent senior engineer (someone with at least 15 years of experience) shouldn't have too much trouble bringing home a salary around $100k.

HOWEVER, above that point, your job security is likely to be less. Sure, one could do contract work and bring home $200k --but I can just about guarantee that the work won't be steady, that it will be difficult, possibly dangerous, there may be security clearances to obtain and live with, and there will be lots of travel. Most people, when they reach that point in their careers, do not seek a lifestyle like that.

My family matters to me. I do travel for professional associations and the like, but generally I keep the number of overnight trips to around three or four per year.

Jake is right. Engineering is known for having a low dynamic range when it comes to salary. Engineers start pretty high, but then don't really go up all that much. A senior engineer making 100k or a bit more is quite possible. Much more than that isn't going to happen unless he or she goes into management, with all the heartache that entails.

1. What factors determine an impressive salary for an Electrical Engineer?

The factors that determine an impressive salary for an Electrical Engineer include the level of education, years of experience, location of employment, industry, and specialized skills. Typically, more education and experience, as well as working in industries such as aerospace or energy, can lead to higher salaries.

2. Is a higher salary always a reflection of job satisfaction and success?

While a higher salary can be an indicator of job satisfaction and success, it is not always the case. Other factors such as job responsibilities, work-life balance, and company culture also play a significant role in overall job satisfaction. It is important for an individual to find a balance between salary and other important factors.

3. What is the average salary for an Electrical Engineer?

The average salary for an Electrical Engineer varies depending on location and industry. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for Electrical Engineers in the United States was $98,530 in May 2020. However, this can range from $65,000 to over $150,000 depending on the factors mentioned above.

4. Are there opportunities for salary growth in the field of Electrical Engineering?

Yes, there are opportunities for salary growth in the field of Electrical Engineering. As an individual gains more experience and skills, they can move up to higher positions such as a senior engineer or project manager, which often come with higher salaries. Additionally, obtaining advanced degrees or certifications can also lead to salary growth.

5. How can an individual negotiate for a higher salary as an Electrical Engineer?

An individual can negotiate for a higher salary by researching the average salary for their specific role and location, emphasizing their skills and experience, and providing concrete examples of accomplishments and contributions to the company. It is also important to have a clear understanding of the company's salary policies and to remain professional and respectful during negotiations.