Salary in Electrical Engineering

In summary, most people in the electrical engineering field in the USA get a starting salary of around $61,000. A pay gap exists between people who obtained their degree from a "better" school and those who obtained their degree from a "lesser" school, but this gap is not based on the school from which the person obtained their degree.
-SJ-
Hello,

I am wondering about average (real) salary in electrical engineering field in USA (and another countries), especially at microelectronic and SoC design. Out of my curiosity I also would like to ask about teachers salary.
Is there anyone who could give me some insight, if my question is not too inappropriate?
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Average entry level salary (BSEE) for my school was ~ 66k last year.
A large number of us went into the defense/aerospace industry

Thank you very much, this exactly the answer I was looking for.
In additionally, may I ask how large is approximately a pay gap from BSc to MSc degree? Would you (or somebody else) say it does really matter from which university and country (first of all) you are while the job trade suffers from EE deficiency?
I study both "microelectronic and technology" and "electronics, electrotechnology in transportation" at two universities for my BSc degree and I intend to study "Computer systems" as a major and "Artifical Intelligent" as a minor while keeping track at "microelectronics" for MSc.
I would like to work and live aboard one day due to better chance to participate in interesting projects, but I am a bit worried about my far not perfect english and maybe prejudice label "come from post-communict country" would discriminate me. Do you think I went mad thinking this or rather you would say something is right about this?

At my school is around 61k starting. But if you dig into those stats you see that they only count the students who got jobs in engineering. So that is the average starting pay as a beginning electrical engineer, not the average starting pay of an electrical engineering graduate.

-SJ- said:
Thank you very much, this exactly the answer I was looking for.
In additionally, may I ask how large is approximately a pay gap from BSc to MSc degree? Would you (or somebody else) say it does really matter from which university and country (first of all) you are while the job trade suffers from EE deficiency?
I study both "microelectronic and technology" and "electronics, electrotechnology in transportation" at two universities for my BSc degree and I intend to study "Computer systems" as a major and "Artifical Intelligent" as a minor while keeping track at "microelectronics" for MSc.
I would like to work and live aboard one day due to better chance to participate in interesting projects, but I am a bit worried about my far not perfect english and maybe prejudice label "come from post-communict country" would discriminate me. Do you think I went mad thinking this or rather you would say something is right about this?

I'm from the US. Most of us got jobs in the northeast or Texas/Arizona.

At my company as an entry level engineer people with MS get ~10k more than BS.

On average people from 'better' schools get higher salary, however that is because on average they get 'better' and more advanced jobs. (please note that is a HUGE generalization)

That being said for any given job the salary that you get will most likely not vary based on the school. So if a grad from MIT and a grad from some community college happen to get the same job, chances are their pay grade will be close if not identical.

Discriminating for where you are from is highly illegal (unless its a job that requires citizenship). Discrimination based on your English may happen, depending on what type of job you are going after

Last edited:
I think people make too much a fuss about the "range" of starting salaries for entry level positions especially since "COLA" in the US is not all the same. 63K in Pittsburgh vs 75K in the Bay area. The Pittsburgh salary is most certainly better.

Does anyone know average starting for a computer science major?

OK, my last question: Somewhere I have read there is a deficiency of engineers on the labor market in USA. Is this what have you experienced when you was pursuing for your job?

Last edited:
A couple of points:

An MS is pretty much the entry level degree in microelectronics/SoC design in the USA. If you want to work in that area as a design engineer it is very difficult to get that job without a graduate degree.

There is no deficiency of engineers in the USA labor market except in some very specific niche areas.

I know now what I wanted know, thank you all for a little bit insight to this issue.
Interestingly just add that in Prague is entry salary for MSEE something about 16K while the labour market strongly suffer from EE deficiency. On the other hand you can study what you want for free. Although there may be a link between unbalanced labour market and state-ruled education.

1. What is the average salary for electrical engineers?

The average salary for electrical engineers varies depending on factors such as experience, location, and industry. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for electrical engineers was $98,530 in May 2020.

2. How much do entry-level electrical engineers make?

The salary for entry-level electrical engineers can range from $60,000 to $80,000 per year, depending on their education, skills, and location. However, this can vary greatly and may be lower or higher depending on the specific company and job market.

3. Is there a difference in salary between electrical engineers with a bachelor's degree and those with a master's degree?

In general, electrical engineers with a master's degree tend to earn higher salaries than those with a bachelor's degree. However, this can also depend on the specific job and industry. Having a master's degree can also open up more opportunities for advancement and higher-paying positions.

4. What industries offer the highest salaries for electrical engineers?

The top-paying industries for electrical engineers include oil and gas extraction, computer and electronic product manufacturing, aerospace product and parts manufacturing, and architectural, engineering, and related services. These industries often require highly specialized skills and experience, leading to higher salaries for electrical engineers.

5. Are there any certifications or additional skills that can increase an electrical engineer's salary?

Obtaining certifications, such as a Professional Engineer (PE) license or a Certified Energy Manager (CEM) designation, can demonstrate a higher level of expertise and can lead to higher salaries. Additionally, having strong skills in areas such as computer-aided design (CAD), programming, and project management can also make an electrical engineer more valuable to employers and potentially increase their salary.