What is a light line and what does it signify in photonics?

  • Thread starter Thread starter snickersnee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Light Line
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
snickersnee
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
What is a "light line"?

The graph pictured below contains a "light line." What does it signify? What equation did it come from? All I know is it's important if something is above or below the light line, but other than that I don't have a clue. I would appreciate any explanation. A web link would be great too.
The graph is on the 2nd page of this paper: http://www.stanford.edu/group/fan/publication/Fink-Science-282-1679-1998.pdf
The paper is just an example, the light line is not specific to this paper. It seems to be a standard tool in the photonics field.

http://snag.gy/hdeb3.jpg
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
The definition is given in the paper you linked.

246357


But I confess. That is pretty dense and I don't understand it myself.