What is a liquid phase chemical that is insoluble in THF?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mr Noblet
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Solvent
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
Mr Noblet
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I'm looking for a liquid phase chemical that would be insoluble in THF (that would phase separate). Does anyone know of one, or where I could find that information?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Mr Noblet said:
Hello,

I'm looking for a liquid phase chemical that would be insoluble in THF (that would phase separate). Does anyone know of one, or where I could find that information?

What type of chemicals fit your criteria? I remember doing solubility experiments with alcohols , amines , ketones ... THF is a good solvent for most of them. How about hydrocarbons?
 
You're out of luck

http://www.merck.com.au/techsup/images/new_miscible_table.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey that table was still very useful. I may be able to use diethyl ether and dimethyl sulfoxide. Thank you very much
 
Mr Noblet said:
Hello,

I'm looking for a liquid phase chemical that would be insoluble in THF (that would phase separate). Does anyone know of one, or where I could find that information?

Saturated brine will phase separate, I believe. That is how I remember making POSS materials.