What is a "lumachelic limestone"?

• Thread starter DrDu
  • Start date
In summary, "lumachelic limestone" refers to sedimentary rocks that contain a significant amount of fossilized shell fragments. The term is derived from "lumaquela," meaning any sedimentary rock with shell remains, and may be related to the Italian words for snail and pasta.
DrDu
Science Advisor
In the description of a fosil site, I ran into the term "lumachelic limestone". Does anybody know, what this means?

Likes Bystander
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Googling, I see the source of your consternation; "lumachelic" means "lumachelic." There is some suggestion that "mechanism of deposition" is involved in the definition, but I guarantee nothing at this stage of my inquiry/investigation of this somewhat circular "argument?" More a "mechanical" than sedimentary/chemical/"Bahamian whiting" type origin.

Paging @davenn

Last edited:
Likes davenn and jim mcnamara
Finally, I found an explanation of this term in a thesis:
http://repository.uamerica.edu.co/bitstream/20.500.11839/421/1/5091182-2016-2-IP.pdf
NIVEL LUMAQUELICO: se denomina lumaquela a toda roca sedimentaria, normalmente de matriz caliza, que contiene una proporción importante de restos de conchas de moluscos o esqueletos de otros animales fosilizados. El nivel 31 lumaquelico comprende una capa de rocas sedimentarias que guardan en su interior restos de seres vivos descompuestos y fosilizados.

Likes DEvens, Steelwolf, davenn and 2 others
Here is the tranlation:

LUMAQUELIC LEVEL: Lumaquela is called any sedimentary rock, usually of limestone matrix, which contains a significant proportion of shell remains of mollusks or skeletons of other fossilized animals. The level 31 lumaquelico comprises a layer of sedimentary rocks that keep in their interior remains of decomposed and fossilized living beings.

In other geologic terms it is "fossiliferous" rocks or formations

Sorry, I just couldn't resist adding this

Last edited:
Likes DEvens, Steelwolf, davenn and 2 others
So how is the term lumachelic derived. What is the Etymology?
It appears to mean “made from broken and crushed fragments of shells”.
Does it look like broken fragments of macaroni?

Baluncore said:
Does it look like broken fragments of macaroni?

I guess that's not so far from reality. "Lumachelli" is a kind of pasta and "Lumaca" means snail in italian.
Strangely enough in zoology "lumacus" is a genus of slugs.

1. What is a lumachelic limestone?

A lumachelic limestone is a type of sedimentary rock that is composed of primarily calcium carbonate and formed from the accumulation of shells, coral, and other marine organisms. It is characterized by its light color and often contains visible shell fragments.

2. How is lumachelic limestone formed?

Lumachelic limestone is formed through the process of sedimentation, where the remains of marine organisms settle and accumulate on the ocean floor. Over time, these sediments are compressed and cemented together to form solid rock.

3. What are the properties of lumachelic limestone?

Lumachelic limestone is typically light in color, ranging from white to beige, and often contains visible shell fragments. It is a soft and porous rock, making it easy to cut and shape. It also has a high calcium carbonate content, making it a good source of lime for agricultural and industrial use.

4. Where is lumachelic limestone found?

Lumachelic limestone is commonly found in shallow marine environments, such as coral reefs, lagoons, and tidal flats. It can also be found in inland areas where ancient oceans once existed, such as the Great Plains region of the United States.

5. What are the uses of lumachelic limestone?

Lumachelic limestone has a variety of uses, including as a building material for construction, a source of lime for agriculture and industry, and as a decorative stone. It is also used in the production of cement, as a filler in paper and plastics, and as a source of crushed stone for roads and driveways.