What is a Point? | Definition and Meaning

• Thread starter zorro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Point
In summary, the term "point" is used in various contexts, including geometry and topology, but its meaning depends on the specific discipline. In geometry, a point is defined as a primitive object with certain properties, while in topology it refers to a member of a topological space. Some argue that points, along with other geometric concepts like lines and circles, exist in a Platonic world as mathematical concepts, while others see them as simply approximations in our physical universe. In any mathematical system, axioms are needed and "point" can be taken as an axiom to define other concepts like "line". However, it is important to note that these concepts are not defined in terms of physical objects, but rather as abstract mathematical concepts.
Redbelly98 said:
The point of HallsOfIvy's post was that, if you insist on a definition for everything, you'll then need to define all the terms used in those definitions. And the same for the definitions of those terms, etc. etc.

So, what are the definitions of "coordinate", "unit" and "direction"? :biggrin:

Jarle answered that back on the first page. We need somewhere to start don't we?

Prior to the Hindu-Arabic mathematicians, calculations were made using Roman Numerals, which made arithmetic fairly difficult. Along comes these Hindu-Arabic mathematicians who "invented" the idea of a decimal point, which has since been widely used as a system to divide indivisible whole numbers. Clearly, it was a turning point in mathematics history.

That principle of a decimal point is like the starting point of a model that future mathematicians can use to define further principles, in my example, it gave rise to negative numbers or in the discussion example, a point, we can define a line and so forth.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A point is a period ( . )

Only it has no radius.

So you only know it is there by defining it's coordinates.

NotEnuffChars said:
Jarle answered that back on the first page. We need somewhere to start don't we?
Yes, I agree completely:
Redbelly98 said:
You can't define every single term in math, not without getting into circular definitions. There has to be a starting point.

Abdul Quadeer said:
If we draw two intersecting lines with a sketchpen, we get a big point.
If we do the same with a sharpened pencil, we get a small point.
I wonder if a point is really 'dimensionless'.

If you're thinking in dimensions, a dimension in some system represents the number of independent variables needed to describe the system.

A point has zero dimensions because it needs no variables to describe it: it is just a constant definition.

A typical line (example y = x + 2) is one dimensional because it has one degree of freedom. If you supply a y (or an x) you get the other corresponding value which is dependent on the value you already supplied.

If I had an inequality like y <= x + 2 then we have a two dimensional system since y and x are independent of each other unless they lie on the line y = x + 2.

A point is the intersection of two lines

OmCheeto said:
A point is a period ( . )

A point is not a period.
We denote it using a period, which is just an approximation.
A point can be just imagined - it has no radius. It can be defined as a circle with radius tending to 0 ( or more accurately equal to 0 ).

Abdul Quadeer said:
A point is not a period.
We denote it using a period, which is just an approximation.
A point can be just imagined - it has no radius. It can be defined as a circle with radius tending to 0 ( or more accurately equal to 0 ).

I believe that if you'd read past my first sentence, you would see that we are in complete agreement.

OmCheeto said:
I believe that if you'd read past my first sentence, you would see that we are in complete agreement.

We are in agreement only past your first sentence.
I was talking about first :biggrin:

How about a lack of pts elswhere

It is an element of the set Rn.

Last edited: