Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a radial Node ? What is an Angular Node ?

1. Jul 14, 2010 #1
    Can anyone give me a picture of what the above terms mean..I know the mathematical meaning like

But i want to know like how and what exactly is a radial node and an angular node !

The node of an S sub shell is easy but where are the nodes in the P and d Sub shell ? And please explain what radial node and angular node mean..Thanks !
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2010 #2
  4. Jul 14, 2010 #3

Science Advisor

You'll also find that all orbitals where n > l have radial nodes (i.e. every orbital except the first s,p,d and f orbitals), and every orbital where n > 1 (i.e. non-s orbitals) have angular nodes.
  5. Jul 15, 2010 #4
    I know the technical defination of nadoes but i need a pictorial defination..So that i can understand how it looks !
  6. Jul 15, 2010 #5
    Was the picture in the link insufficient? Its color coded in 2d instead of 3d -- so black represented the zeros (nodes), and the reds represented non-zero values.
  7. Jul 26, 2010 #6
    But what about angular nodes...Where are they ??
  8. Jul 26, 2010 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think of the difference between radial nodes and angular nodes as being like looking at a bullseye vs. a 4-leaf clover. The nodes are the spaces between the circles in the case of the bullseye (radial node) and the spaces between the leaves in the case of the 4-leaf clover (angular node).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?