Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is a Schottky barrier or contact?

1. Aug 29, 2015 #1
    I looked at many websites including wikipedia and videos on youtube but I found them all very complicated and many contained diagrams that did not make sense to me. What is a Schottky barrier or contact in simplest form so that a 17 year old high school physics student can understand?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2015 #2
    The simple example would be the application of a Cat Whisker Diode of a crystal radio. A metal contact directly in contact with a semiconductor material like Germanium. Hot carrier diode.

4. Aug 31, 2015 #3

Baluncore

Science Advisor

A "normal" diode is a junction between a P type and an N type semiconductor material.
    A Schottky diode is a junction between a metal and either an N type or a P type semiconductor material.
    Schottky diodes are fast and usually have a lower forward voltage drop than PN diodes.

Beyond that, there is no simple explanation without a course in semiconductor physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook