1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is and how do I use the Parallel axis theorem

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    I have in my problem, a ball sitting on a cylindrical rod that pivots at the bottom,
    some guy in the explanation said parallel axis theorem and came up with moment of inertia of:
    I = (mL^2)/3 + [2Mr^2/5 + M(L+r)^2]

where L is the length of the rod, m is the mass of the rod, M is the mass of the ball, r is the radius of the ball.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2
    I assume you've covered moments of inertia, the parallel axis theorem then states that if you're rotating your object about an axis parallel to a second axis where you know the rotation moment of inertia then the new moment of inertia about your displaced axis is equal to the "normal" moment plus a term [itex] md^2 [/itex] where m is the mass of the object and d is the distance between the axes (?) .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook