Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is another infinite series summation for Pi^2/6 besides 1/n^2?

1. Jan 13, 2014 #1
    So the title pretty much says it all, what other infinite series summations do we have for Pi^2/6 besides,

$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} 1/n^2$$

***EDIT*** I should also include,

$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} 2(-1)^(n+1)/n^2$$
    $$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} 4/(2n)^2$$
    etc. etc.

A unique form outside of the 1/n^2 family.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2014 #2
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Pi^2%2F6

4. Jan 14, 2014 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Jan 14, 2014 #4
    Interesting, all of their series still have a 'squared' term for the denominator in some form or another. Do you know of any outside of the 1/n^2 family?

Either way thanks for the link!

That thread was about finding infinite series summations for 1/5 and 1/7 which eventually led to a 'general solution' for all '1/k' fractions for infinite series. This thread is specifically for Pi^2/6 and finding infinite series that are not of the 1/n^2 family.

Hope this helps.

6. Jan 14, 2014 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Take any series that equals 1/5 and multiply it by [itex] \frac{ 5 \pi^2}{6} [/itex].

7. Jan 14, 2014 #6
    Yes, that would do it too...
    Do you have anything else besides Boreks standard answer on these things? :)

On a more serious note (sort of), deriving these new series is a blast! I have not encountered any other subject in mathematics that has been more fun!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted