Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is curvature? (multivariable calculus)

1. Jul 16, 2013 #1
    if space curve C=<f(t),g(t),h(t)>, and

v=[itex]\frac{dC}{dt}[/itex]=<[itex]\frac{df(t)}{dt}[/itex],[itex]\frac{dg(t)}{dt}[/itex],[itex]\frac{dh(t)}{dt}[/itex]>

Why is curvature defined this way? κ[itex]\equiv[/itex][itex]\frac{d\widehat{T}}{dS}[/itex]

[itex]\hat{T}[/itex]=unit tangent vector
    S=arc length

to elaborate, for a space curve, i understand what [itex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/itex] is, but what is [itex]\frac{d\widehat{T}}{dS}[/itex]? please explain this to me in an intuitive way, as in what it graphically represents.

wiki says that the "cauchy defined the curvature C as the intersection point of two infinitely close normals to the curve"

okay so how is this any different from [itex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/itex]?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2013 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Is this what you mean?
    $$\kappa = \left\|\frac{d\mathbf{T}}{ds}\right\|$$

So at a point we fit the curve (locally) to a circle. The curvature is the reciprocal of the radius of that circle. We think of a small circle as very curved so it has high curvature. A large circle is slightly curved so it has low curvature.

4. Jul 16, 2013 #3
    alright, i have no problem with the curvature being defined that way, but could you show me how $$\kappa = \left\|\frac{d\mathbf{T}}{ds}\right\|$$ means that? ie.. could you show me how $$\kappa = \left\|\frac{d\mathbf{T}}{ds}\right\|$$ directly leads 1/r?

5. Jul 16, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook