Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is heat-transfer coefficient alpha

1. Apr 3, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone!

I would like to confirm if heat-transfer coefficient α units in SI are W/m2 K. I have to use heat-transfer coefficient α in this formula:

Heat-transfer resistance: 1/k = δ/λ + 1/α

Where δ is material thickness and λ is thermal conductivity

Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

yes and no. Depends on the interpretation of W/m2 K as W/m2 K (no...) or as W/ (m2 K) (yes!)
    see wiki

4. Apr 3, 2016 #3
    Ok, thank you! And If I have two liquids and between them I have a copper plate. I must use 400 W/(m2 K) ;) as this website says: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/overall-heat-transfer-coefficients-d_284.html

It's true?

I'm obtaining incoherent results... :(

5. Apr 3, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

I only see water - copper - water 340 - 455 W/(m2 ##\cdot## K) ?

A bit difficult to help here: my telepathic capabilities are very limited :smile: .
    But you'll get a lot of assistance in the homework forum, provided you use the template properly ....:wink:

(however, the ##\delta/\lambda## might indicate you need a different interpretation...

and so does the 400 ... but those are W / (m ##\cdot## K) :nb) )

6. Apr 3, 2016 #5
    I've just checked my problem and I think all it's OK now. Thank you for your time and for responding quickly!

7. Apr 7, 2016 #6
    The OVERALL HEAT TRANSFER COEFFICIENT in the table is supposed to be the k in your first post.

8. Apr 8, 2016 #7
    I thought the OVERALL HEAT TRANSFER COEFFICIENT was α, and k was the HEAT-TRANSFER RESISTANCE... Thank you!

9. Apr 8, 2016 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

Thanks, Chet. I probably hinted too carefully in post #4 and forgot to follow up on #5 !
    Should have insisted Joaquin showed his work :rolleyes: !

10. Apr 8, 2016 #9
    My english level is extremely basic, and the hint is a bit difficult to me. :frown:
    A part of my work is about to define all component in the formula at #1. I looked for in my old heat transfer notes but I didn't find anything like that formula.

11. Apr 8, 2016 #10

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

In general there are three resistances in series: ##1\over \alpha_1## on the utility side, ##\delta\over\lambda## from the pipe or plate material and another ##1\over \alpha_2## on the process side.
    For the over-all heat transfer coefficient k ( in W / (m2 ##\cdot## K) ) you have $$ U = {1\over k} = {1\over \alpha_1} + {\delta\over\lambda} + {1\over \alpha_2} $$You don't show your work, so I don't know ##\delta##, but the middle term is often negligible. See the over-all k in water-copper-water of 340 - 455 W/(m2 ##\cdot## K) or the 400 you are supposed to use. A 1 mm plate ##{\displaystyle\delta\over\lambda} = {2.5 \times 10^{-6}} ## would contribute very little to the over-all resistance of ##\approx {2.5 \times 10^{-3}}##.

12. Apr 8, 2016 #11
    The symbol U is often used for the overall heat transfer coefficient, so that could cause confusion with regard to your equation.

13. Apr 8, 2016 #12

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2017 Award

Sleepiness. Thanks, Chet. ##1/U## it is. I'm used to ##\dot Q = UA\; {\rm LMTD}## and was too hasty. Coffee !

14. Apr 8, 2016 #13
    Ok, this post has clarified me all! All my books and notes are in spanish with a little bit different nomenclature so I was a little bit confuse with those terms. At the end, it's just calculate the equivalent resistance...

Thank you so much to all!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted