Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is heat-transfer coefficient alpha

1. Apr 3, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone!

I would like to confirm if heat-transfer coefficient α units in SI are W/m2 K. I have to use heat-transfer coefficient α in this formula:

Heat-transfer resistance: 1/k = δ/λ + 1/α

Where δ is material thickness and λ is thermal conductivity

Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

yes and no. Depends on the interpretation of W/m2 K as W/m2 K (no...) or as W/ (m2 K) (yes!)
    see wiki

4. Apr 3, 2016 #3
    Ok, thank you! And If I have two liquids and between them I have a copper plate. I must use 400 W/(m2 K) ;) as this website says: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/overall-heat-transfer-coefficients-d_284.html

It's true?

I'm obtaining incoherent results... :(

5. Apr 3, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I only see water - copper - water 340 - 455 W/(m2 ##\cdot## K) ?

A bit difficult to help here: my telepathic capabilities are very limited :smile: .
    But you'll get a lot of assistance in the homework forum, provided you use the template properly ....:wink:

(however, the ##\delta/\lambda## might indicate you need a different interpretation...

and so does the 400 ... but those are W / (m ##\cdot## K) :nb) )

6. Apr 3, 2016 #5
    I've just checked my problem and I think all it's OK now. Thank you for your time and for responding quickly!

7. Apr 7, 2016 #6
    The OVERALL HEAT TRANSFER COEFFICIENT in the table is supposed to be the k in your first post.

8. Apr 8, 2016 #7
    I thought the OVERALL HEAT TRANSFER COEFFICIENT was α, and k was the HEAT-TRANSFER RESISTANCE... Thank you!

9. Apr 8, 2016 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks, Chet. I probably hinted too carefully in post #4 and forgot to follow up on #5 !
    Should have insisted Joaquin showed his work :rolleyes: !

10. Apr 8, 2016 #9
    My english level is extremely basic, and the hint is a bit difficult to me. :frown:
    A part of my work is about to define all component in the formula at #1. I looked for in my old heat transfer notes but I didn't find anything like that formula.

11. Apr 8, 2016 #10

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In general there are three resistances in series: ##1\over \alpha_1## on the utility side, ##\delta\over\lambda## from the pipe or plate material and another ##1\over \alpha_2## on the process side.
    For the over-all heat transfer coefficient k ( in W / (m2 ##\cdot## K) ) you have $$ U = {1\over k} = {1\over \alpha_1} + {\delta\over\lambda} + {1\over \alpha_2} $$You don't show your work, so I don't know ##\delta##, but the middle term is often negligible. See the over-all k in water-copper-water of 340 - 455 W/(m2 ##\cdot## K) or the 400 you are supposed to use. A 1 mm plate ##{\displaystyle\delta\over\lambda} = {2.5 \times 10^{-6}} ## would contribute very little to the over-all resistance of ##\approx {2.5 \times 10^{-3}}##.

12. Apr 8, 2016 #11
    The symbol U is often used for the overall heat transfer coefficient, so that could cause confusion with regard to your equation.

13. Apr 8, 2016 #12

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sleepiness. Thanks, Chet. ##1/U## it is. I'm used to ##\dot Q = UA\; {\rm LMTD}## and was too hasty. Coffee !

14. Apr 8, 2016 #13
    Ok, this post has clarified me all! All my books and notes are in spanish with a little bit different nomenclature so I was a little bit confuse with those terms. At the end, it's just calculate the equivalent resistance...

Thank you so much to all!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted