What is meant by Spectral and Spatial Shaping of a laser

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Avardia
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Laser Optics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Avardia
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I am new to the forum so apologies if I placed this in the wrong subforum though I think the subject is classical enough to be here. I was hoping to get a concise answer to what is meant by spectral and spatial shaping of a laser. My intuition says that we are modifying the amplitude of the laser light with spatial but I'm lost on spectral.

Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Spectral are the frequency components of the laser - so spectral shaping would be any mechanism that filters out unwanted frequencies.

See figures 3 and 4 in this report:
https://integratedoptics.com/spectral-properties-of-cw-lasersSpatial is the beam pattern - what the beam looks like when projected onto a screen. Normally, you would want that laser to project a simple disk.

labeled_airy.jpg
 
Attachments
  • labeled_airy.jpg
    labeled_airy.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 730
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Avardia