What is Quantum Statistical Mechanics?

In summary, Quantum Statistical Mechanics is the application of Quantum Mechanics to describe the behavior of bulk matter at a microscopic level. It introduces additional uncertainties and thermodynamic concepts, such as temperature, that are not present in "pure" Quantum Mechanics. Non-relativistic QFT and quantum statistical mechanics are different in their approach and the types of systems they can describe. While temperature makes sense in local thermodynamic equilibrium, it may not be applicable in all cases.
fxdung
Is Quantum Statistical Mechanics being the application of Quantum Mechanics on the separate particles of bulk matter or the application of QM on whole agregate matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
In short, it's quantum mechanics done right, even though, from my point of view, it uses less interesting mathematics than the "orthodox" quantum mechanics.

Likes vanhees71
Then what is the difference between non-relativistic QFT and quantum statistical mechanics?

Quantum statistical mechanics (QSM) introduces additional uncertainties that are not already present in "pure" quantum mechanics (QM). In QM you assume that the whole system is in a known pure state. In QSM you don't assume that, so you describe the whole system by a mixed state. Mixed states appear also in QM, but only as descriptions of subsystems, by partial tracing of the pure state for the whole system. By contrast, in QSM you start from the mixed state from the very beginning.

Generalizing QM to QFT makes no difference. If you start from a pure state in QFT, then it's "pure" QFT. If you start from a mixed state in QFT, then it's statistical QFT.

The most important concepts in quantum statistical mechanics that are not present in pure quantum mechanics are the thermodynamic concepts like temperature, and the thermodynamic limit.

fxdung said:
Then what is the difference between non-relativistic QFT (NRQFT) and quantum statistical mechanics?
Non-relativistic QFT is one way, in my opinion the most clever way, to describe quantum many-body systems. NRQFT is comprehensive, i.e., it includes all of the "1st quantized formalism" but it allows for more, e.g., the description of many-body systems in terms of "quasi particles", where the "quasiparticles" are not particles in the usual sense but can be quantized collective excitations of a many-body system, e.g., the lattice vibrations (sound waves) in a solid. The mathematics is pretty similar to a QFT description of particles and that's why one calls such excitations, treated in this way mathematically, "quasiparticles". They also have names like "phonons" for the lattice vibrations.

In classical physics,temperature is defined as average kinetic energy of molecules.But what is temperature of radiation,of QFT,of QM?

fxdung said:
But what is temperature of radiation,of QFT,of QM?
The inverse of the coefficient of the Hamiltonian in the exponent of the assumed form of the density operator, e.g., in the canonical ensemble ##\rho=e^{-H/kT}##.

Likes Demystifier
atyy said:
The most important concepts in quantum statistical mechanics that are not present in pure quantum mechanics are the thermodynamic concepts like temperature, and the thermodynamic limit.
Only in the thermodynamic equilibrium. Statistical physics (either classical or quantum) studies also systems far from thermodynamic equilibrium, in which case the concept of temperature does not make sense.

For an introduction, see the marvelous papers by Danielewicz:

Danielewicz, P.: Quantum Theory of Nonequilibrium Processes I, Ann. Phys. 152, 239, 1984
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0003-4916(84)90092-7

Danielewicz, P.: Quantum Theory of Nonequilibrium Processes II. Application to Nuclear Collisions, Ann. Phys. 152, 305–326, 1984
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0003-4916(84)90093-9

Last edited by a moderator:
Demystifier said:
Only in the thermodynamic equilibrium. Statistical physics (either classical or quantum) studies also systems far from thermodynamic equilibrium, in which case the concept of temperature does not make sense.
?

The concept of temperature makes perfect sense in nonequilibrium thermodynamics, as a local temperature field. One can see this from the Navier-Stokes equation, which are a nonequilibrium system derivable from statistical mechanics. See, e.g., the book on statistical physics by Linda Reichl.

Likes dextercioby
Well, also hydrodynamics is an approximation of limited applicability. It's valid for small Knudsen numbers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knudsen_number

For large Knudsen numbers we have Boltzmann(-Uehling-Uhlenbeck) equations. It's amazing, how far you can stretch hydro to be valid also for Knudsen numbers at the order of 1. Then, however you need "higher-order moments", i.e., approximations beyond Navier-Stokes (in relativistic hydro you need at least 2nd order hydro anyway, because of the famous causility trouble with Navier-Stokes; the most simple realization is Israel-Stuart based on a relaxation time approximation).

Have a look at the following thesis:

http://fias.uni-frankfurt.de/helmholtz/publications/thesis/Gabriel_Denicol.pdf

Note that the thesis is in English. Only the summary is in German!

Likes dextercioby
A. Neumaier said:
The concept of temperature makes perfect sense in nonequilibrium thermodynamics, as a local temperature field.
In this case you have a local thermodynamic equilibrium. But sometimes you don't have even that.

atyy said:
can we say there is always a temperature if we average over large enough regions?
If the region is dense enough, local temperature makes sense. In particular, close to the big bang.

Suppose, for instance, that the density matrix of a system is
$$\rho =\frac{A}{{\rm Tr}A}$$
where
$$A=e^{-\beta_1 H}+e^{-\beta_2 H}$$
##H## is the Hamiltonian and ##\beta_1 \neq \beta_2##. What is the temperature of that system? No temperature at all!

Demystifier said:
Suppose, for instance, that the density matrix of a system is
$$\rho =\frac{A}{{\rm Tr}A}$$
where
$$A=e^{-\beta_1 H}+e^{-\beta_2 H}$$
##H## is the Hamiltonian and ##\beta_1 \neq \beta_2##. What is the temperature of that system? No temperature at all!
Did you want to suggest that the early universe had such a density matrix?

For large systems, most density matrices are not realized in Nature.

A. Neumaier said:
Did you want to suggest that the early universe had such a density matrix?
No.

A. Neumaier said:
For large systems, most density matrices are not realized in Nature.
True! Similarly, for small systems, most pure states are also not realized in Nature. Yet quantum mechanics, as a theory, is a theory of all such pure states, whether realized in Nature or not. Likewise, quantum statistical mechanics, as a theory, is a theory of all such mixed states, whether realized in Nature or not. That's the only point I wanted to make.

Demystifier said:
quantum statistical mechanics, as a theory, is a theory of all such mixed states
No. It is a theory of only such states that conform to assumptions found in reality, otherwise one could never obtain irreversibility from unitarity. Only concentrating on states representing reality rather than arbitrary states makes quantum statistical mechanics work.

A. Neumaier said:
No. It is a theory of only such states that conform to assumptions found in reality, otherwise one could never obtain irreversibility from unitarity. Only concentrating on states representing reality rather than arbitrary states makes quantum statistical mechanics work.
Then I am using a wider definition of statistical mechanics than you do. For example, with my definition I can study the possibility of Boltzmann brains, the hypothetical and never observed phenomenon which, in some sense, violates "the principle of macroscopic irreversibility". For some recent research on Boltzmann brains see e.g.
http://arxiv.org/find/grp_physics/1/ti:+AND+Boltzmann+brain/0/1/0/all/0/1

Last edited:
Demystifier said:
hypothetical and never observed phenomenon
You may study them. But I prefer to study (like all mainstream work in statistical mechanics) what can be observed. This dramatically reduces the weirdness of QM.

A. Neumaier said:
You may study them. But I prefer to study (like all mainstream work in statistical mechanics) what can be observed. This dramatically reduces the weirdness of QM.
Fair enough!

Well, I'd never say "never". Who knows, what kinds of "weird" states the experimentalists are able to prepare in the future? It's just amazing what they can do know concerning entangled states of many-photon states, photons and atoms, and even "macroscopic" objects.

On the theory side the only restriction of possible states are superselection rules (mostly based on fundamental symmetries).

Likes eloheim and Demystifier
vanhees71 said:
On the theory side the only restriction of possible states are superselection rules (mostly based on fundamental symmetries).
But we never know whether a symmetry is fundamental or merely emergent, valid approximately on large distances only.

Concerning superselection rules, I find the explanations of those by decoherence (instead of symmetry) much more appealing. In that sense, superselection rules (SR) appear to be an artefact of statistics, making SR's not more fundamental than the second law of thermodynamics.

Likes eloheim
vanhees71 said:
Who knows, what kinds of "weird" states the experimentalists are able to prepare in the future?
I restricted my interest just to what is observable. I don't think experimentalists will ever be able to prepare unobservable states...

What do you mean by "unobservable states"? It's just a matter of technical development what we are able to prepare or not, right?

A. Neumaier said:
I don't think experimentalists will ever be able to prepare unobservable states...
I believe they prepare them all the time, but they just don't know it because the states are ... well, unobservable.

Demystifier said:
Then I am using a wider definition of statistical mechanics than you do. For example, with my definition I can study the possibility of Boltzmann brains, the hypothetical and never observed phenomenon which, in some sense, violates "the principle of macroscopic irreversibility". For some recent research on Boltzmann brains see e.g.
http://lanl.arxiv.org/find/grp_physics/1/ti:+AND+Boltzmann+brain/0/1/0/all/0/1

Link doesn't seem to be working...

vanhees71 said:
What do you mean by "unobservable states"? It's just a matter of technical development what we are able to prepare or not, right?
Whatever will be preparable any time in the future must be a state that comes from partial tracing of the state of a bigger system including its environment. Thus it is covered by my definition of the states that can appear in Nature. Whereas one cannot observe a state that doesn't occur in Nature, and one cannot prepare such a state.

Demystifier said:
I believe they prepare them all the time, but they just don't know it because the states are ... well, unobservable.
Hm, I still don't know, what you mean by "unobservable states". If a state is (in principal) unobservable, then it's not a state. So an "unobservable state" seems to be a constradictio in adjecto. The only thing, I'm aware of are superselection rules which forbid certain states, but that means that they simply do not exist (e.g., the charge superselection rules forbidding superpositions of states of different charge or the angular-momentum superselection rule forbidding superpositions of half-integer with integer angular momenta).

A. Neumaier said:
Whatever will be preparable any time in the future must be a state that comes from partial tracing of the state of a bigger system including its environment. Thus it is covered by my definition of the states that can appear in Nature. Whereas one cannot observe a state that doesn't occur in Nature, and one cannot prepare such a state.
Well, If I prepare a cup of coffee and leave it at rest a while on my desk, I don't trace anything but prepare a thermal-equilibrium state by just waiting long enough. That's an easy preparation without in any way tracing out anything.

vanhees71 said:
Well, If I prepare a cup of coffee and leave it at rest a while on my desk, I don't trace anything but prepare a thermal-equilibrium state by just waiting long enough. That's an easy preparation without in any way tracing out anything.
To be able to say what you said you traced out the whole universe except for the coffee in the cup. For only that part is in equilibrium. If you wait longer, maybe the bigger system consisting of coffee, cup and desk will be in thermal equilibrium. But as long as you are in the room, the whole room will not be in equilibrium. Thus you need to trace out at least yourself. And the outside of the building your desk is in. And your computer if it is running...

Likes eloheim
Wow, I'm a very mighty being, being able to trace out the whole universe by cooking a cup of coffee ;-)), but when I come to thermal equilibrium with my environment, I'm dead. So I better don't trace myself out...

Likes eloheim

1. What is quantum statistical mechanics?

Quantum statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of systems made up of a large number of particles, using the principles of quantum mechanics. It aims to understand the macroscopic properties of a system based on the microscopic behavior of its individual particles.

2. How does quantum statistical mechanics differ from classical statistical mechanics?

Classical statistical mechanics follows the laws of classical mechanics, which describe the behavior of macroscopic objects. On the other hand, quantum statistical mechanics takes into account the wave-like nature of particles at the microscopic level, and uses the principles of quantum mechanics to describe their behavior.

3. What are the key concepts in quantum statistical mechanics?

The key concepts in quantum statistical mechanics include the wave function, which describes the probability of finding a particle in a particular state, and the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of a system. Other important concepts include the density matrix, partition function, and the Boltzmann distribution.

4. What are some practical applications of quantum statistical mechanics?

Quantum statistical mechanics has many practical applications, including the study of materials at the nanoscale, the behavior of gases and liquids, and the properties of magnetism and superconductivity. It is also used in fields such as quantum computing and quantum information theory.

5. How does quantum statistical mechanics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Quantum statistical mechanics plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, as it helps us explain the behavior of matter and energy on a microscopic scale. It has also led to important discoveries, such as the existence of quantum entanglement and the uncertainty principle, which have greatly expanded our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.