Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is 'R' as shown in the figure?

  1. Jan 12, 2018 #1


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    what are those 'R' atoms(highlighted in red)?
    Also,What is finely divided Nickel(marked in red)?
    I will be thankful for help!
    Note:I am a High School student and English is my second language!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2018 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    R="Rest", is a generic abbreviation for that part of the molecule which is not explicitely drawn, e.g., an ethyl group. "Finely divided" means a very fine powder which has a high specific surface.
  4. Jan 13, 2018 #3


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Thank you!
  5. Jan 15, 2018 #4


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

    Usually a hydrocarbon branch
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted