1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is susceptibility

1. Jul 24, 2014 #1
    Definition/Summary

Susceptibility is a property of material. In a vacuum it is zero.

Susceptibility is an operator (generally a tensor), converting one vector field to another. It is dimensionless.

Electric susceptibility [itex]\chi_e[/itex] is a measure of the ease of polarisation of a material.

Magnetic susceptibility [itex]\chi_m[/itex] is a measure of the strengthening of a magnetic field in the presence of a material.

Diamagnetic material has negative magnetic susceptibility, and so weakens a magnetic field.

Equations

Electric susceptibility [itex]\chi_e[/itex] and magnetic susceptibility [itex]\chi_m[/itex] are the operators which convert the electric field and the magnetic intensity field, [itex]\varepsilon_0\mathbf{E}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{H}[/itex] ([itex]not[/itex] the magnetic field [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex]), respectively, to the polarisation and magnetisation fields [itex]\mathbf{P}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{M}[/itex]:

[tex]\mathbf{P}\ = \chi_e\,\varepsilon_0\,\mathbf{E}[/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{M}\ = \chi_m\,\mathbf{H}\ = \frac{1}{\mu_0}\,\chi_m\,(\chi_m\,+\,1)^{-1}\,\mathbf{B}\ = \frac{1}{\mu_0}\,(1\,-\,(\chi_m\,+\,1)^{-1})\,\mathbf{B}[/tex]

Extended explanation

Bound charge and current:

Electric susceptibility converts [itex]\mathbf{E}[/itex], which acts on the total charge, to [itex]\mathbf{P}[/itex], which acts only on bound charge (charge which can move only locally within a material).

Magnetic susceptibility converts [itex]\mathbf{H}[/itex], which acts on free current, to [itex]\mathbf{M}[/itex], which acts only on bound current (current in local loops within a material, such as of an electron "orbiting" a nucleus).

Relative permittivity [itex]\mathbf{\varepsilon_r}[/itex] and relative permeability [itex]\mathbf{\mu_r}[/itex]:

[tex]\mathbf{\varepsilon_r}\ =\ \mathbf{\chi_e}\ +\ 1[/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{\mu_r}\ =\ \mathbf{\chi_m}\ -\ 1[/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{D}\ =\ \varepsilon_0\,\mathbf{E}\ +\ \mathbf{P}\ =\ \varepsilon_0\,(1\,+\,\mathbf{\chi_e})\,\mathbf{E}\ =\ \mathbf{\varepsilon_r}\,\mathbf{E}[/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{B}\ =\ \mu_0\,(\mathbf{H}\ +\ \mathbf{M})\ =\ \mu_0\,(1\,+\,\mathbf{\chi_m})\,\mathbf{H}\ =\ \mathbf{\mu_r}\,\mathbf{H}[/tex]

Note that the magnetic equations analogous to [itex]\mathbf{P}\ = \mathbf{\chi_e}\,\varepsilon_0\,\mathbf{E}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{D}\ =\ \mathbf{\varepsilon_r}\,\mathbf{E}[/itex] are [itex]\mathbf{M}\ = \frac{1}{\mu_0}\,(1\,-\,(\mathbf{\chi_m}\,+\,1)^{-1})\,\mathbf{B}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{H}\ =\ \mathbf{\mu_r}^{-1}\,\mathbf{B}[/itex]

In other words, the magnetic analogy of relative permittivity is the inverse of relative permeability, and the magnetic analogy of electric susceptibility is the inverse of a part of magnetic susceptibility.

Permittivity: [itex]\mathbf{\varepsilon}\ =\ \varepsilon_0\,\mathbf{\varepsilon_r}[/itex]

Permeability: [itex]\mathbf{\mu}\ =\ \mu_0\,\mathbf{\mu_r}[/itex]

Units:

Relative permittivity and relative permeability, like susceptibility, are dimensionless (they have no units).

Permittivity is measured in units of farad per metre ([itex]F.m^{-1}[/itex]).

Permeability is measured in units of henry per metre ([itex]H.m^{-1}[/itex]) or tesla.metre per amp or newton per amp squared.

cgs (emu) values:

Some books which give values of susceptibility use cgs (emu) units for electromagnetism.

Although susceptibility has no units, there is still a dimensionless difference between cgs and SI values, a constant, [itex]4\pi[/itex]. To convert cgs values to SI, divide by [itex]4\pi[/itex] for electric susceptibility, and multiply by [itex]4\pi[/itex] for magnetic susceptibility.

Tensor nature of susceptibility:

For crystals and other non-isotropic material, susceptibility depends on the direction, and changes the direction, and therefore is represented by a tensor.

For isotropic material, susceptibility is the same in every direction, and [itex]\mathbf{P}[/itex] (or [itex]\mathbf{M}[/itex]) is in the same direction as [itex]\mathbf{E}[/itex] (or [itex]\mathbf{H}[/itex]):

[tex]\mathbf{P}\ = \varepsilon_0\,\chi_e\,\mathbf{E}[/tex]

where [itex]\chi_e[/itex] is a multiple of the unit tensor, and therefore is effectively a scalar:

[tex]P^i\ =\ \varepsilon_0\,\chi_e\,E^i[/tex]​

Ordinary susceptibility is a tensor (a linear operator whose components form a 3x3 matrix) which converts one vector field to another:

[tex]P^i\ =\ \varepsilon_0\,\chi_{e\ j}^{\ i}\,E^j[/tex]

Second-order susceptibility is a tensor (a linear operator whose components form a 3x3x3 "three-dimensional matrix") which converts two copies of one vector field to another:

[tex]P^i\ =\ \varepsilon_0\,\chi_{e\ \ jk}^{(2)\,i}\,E^j\,E^k[/tex]

It is used in non-linear optics.

Susceptibility, being a tensor, is always linear in each of its components. The adjective "non-linear" refers to the presence of two (or more) copies of [itex]\bold{E}[/itex].

More generally, one can have:

[tex]P^i\ =\ \varepsilon_0\,\sum_{n\ =\ 1}^{\infty}\chi_{e\ \ \ j_1\cdots j_n}^{(n)\,i}\,E^{j_1}\cdots E^{j_n}[/tex]

* This entry is from our old Library feature. If you know who wrote it, please let us know so we can attribute a writer. Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted