What is the acceleration of a block on a frictionless surface?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dirtybirdhouse183
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acceleration Block
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
dirtybirdhouse183
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A block is on a frictionless horizontal surface. A force of 20 N is applied to the block at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal. If the mass of the block is 5 kg, what is the acceleration of the block?

The choices for acceleration are: a) 5.3 b) 6.2 c) 7.5 d) 4.7 e)3.2

Homework Equations



Do I need to compute the vertical forces acting on the block?

The Attempt at a Solution



So I am guessing that the horizontal component of the force is the force that causes the block to accelerate, or move. So then the horizontal force would be 20cos30 which is 17N. Then I divided that by the mass to get the acceleration but it's wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I did what you did:
[tex]F_x = \cos 30 \cdot 20 = m a_x[/tex]
[tex]F_y = \sin 30 \cdot 20 - n = 0[/tex]
so [tex]a_x = \frac {\cos 30 \cdot 20}{5} = .62[/tex]
 
dirtybirdhouse183 said:
So I am guessing that the horizontal component of the force is the force that causes the block to accelerate, or move. So then the horizontal force would be 20cos30 which is 17N. Then I divided that by the mass to get the acceleration but it's wrong.
Your method is correct; the answer is not among those given (although one of them is pretty close).

lizzyb said:
so [tex]a_x = \frac {\cos 30 \cdot 20}{5} = .62[/tex]
Check your arithmetic.
 
I tried

Yes, my acceleration was 3.46, but there acceleration is 3.2. Hopefully, the answer choices aren't incorrect lol. Thanks for the replies though, I really apperciate them.