What is the acceleration of a crate after it has just started to move?

  • Thread starter Thread starter quanitary
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acceleration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
quanitary
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The coefficients of static and kinetic friction between a 445 N crate and the warehouse floor are 0.565 and 0.450, respectively. A worker gradually increases his horizontal push against this crate until it just begins to move and from then on maintains that same maximum push.


Homework Equations


What is the acceleration of a crate after it has just started to move?


The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to multiply the kinectic friction coefficient by the Normal Force to get kinetic friction. Then I tried to divide Kinectic Friction by the mass of the box and I got:

4.39 m/s2 but it was wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
quanitary said:

Homework Statement



The coefficients of static and kinetic friction between a 445 N crate and the warehouse floor are 0.565 and 0.450, respectively. A worker gradually increases his horizontal push against this crate until it just begins to move and from then on maintains that same maximum push.


Homework Equations


What is the acceleration of a crate after it has just started to move?


The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to multiply the kinectic friction coefficient by the Normal Force to get kinetic friction. Then I tried to divide Kinectic Friction by the mass of the box and I got:

4.39 m/s2 but it was wrong.

The force needed to start moving the box is F_static= mu_static * Normal
Once the box starts moving the force of kinetic friction is F_kinetic=mu_kinetic *normal

The net force at that point is F_net=F_static-F-kinetic
a = F_net/mass_crate
 
korican04 said:
The force needed to start moving the box is F_static= mu_static * Normal
Once the box starts moving the force of kinetic friction is F_kinetic=mu_kinetic *normal

The net force at that point is F_net=F_static-F-kinetic
a = F_net/mass_crate

Thanks!