What is the acceleration of the coin after being dropped?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lesegp
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acceleration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Lesegp
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An observer Y, on the ground floor of a building watches a glass fronted lift moving downwards .The magnitude of the acceleration of the lift as it moves downwards is 1.5m.s2 .A passenger X inside the lift drops a coin. Relative to observer Y,

Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration of the coin in ms2, after being dropped.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


The answer that I got is 11.5m/s2 but I have my doubts about it
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Lesegp said:

Homework Statement



An observer Y, on the ground floor of a building watches a glass fronted lift moving downwards .The magnitude of the acceleration of the lift as it moves downwards is 1.5m.s2 .A passenger X inside the lift drops a coin. Relative to observer Y,

Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration of the coin in ms2, after being dropped.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


The answer that I got is 11.5m/s2 but I have my doubts about it
We cannot help if you do not show your work.
 
Lesegp said:

Homework Statement



An observer Y, on the ground floor of a building watches a glass fronted lift moving downwards .The magnitude of the acceleration of the lift as it moves downwards is 1.5m.s2 .A passenger X inside the lift drops a coin. Relative to observer Y,

Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration of the coin in ms2, after being dropped.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


The answer that I got is 11.5m/s2 but I have my doubts about it

What causes acceleration?
 
PeroK said:
What causes acceleration
A force applied to an object at rest causes it to accelerate in the direction of the force.
 
Lesegp said:
A force applied to an object at rest causes it to accelerate in the direction of the force.

And what force(s) act on the coin after it is dropped?