What is the angle between a disc and a vertical surface?

• Thread starter con20or
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interaction
In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a problem involving a disc and three planes. They know the orientation of each plane and can calculate surface normals and dihedral angles, but are struggling to find the angle between the disc and a vertical surface. They have provided images to better explain the question.
con20or
Hello all, i wonder if you can help me with a problem I am having.

I have a disc and three planes (representing a road, building and roof). For this problem, the disc can be considered a plane.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/con20or/Fig1.png

I know the orientation of each of the planes. The disc is orientated 45horizontal x 45vertical. I can caluate surface normals for each element. With these I can calculate the dihedral angle between the disc and the road, and also the disc and the building, but what I am really looking to find is when looking directly at a vertical surface (middle image) what angle does the plane make on the vertical surface? Its approx 35^ in this case.

This is really bugging me, I'm sure there's an easy way of doing this.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to What is the angle between a disc and a vertical surface?

What is "Planar/disc interaction"?

Planar/disc interaction is a term used in the field of materials science to describe the interaction between a planar surface and a disc-shaped object. It involves the study of the forces and stresses that occur when these two shapes come into contact with each other.

What factors affect planar/disc interaction?

There are several factors that can affect planar/disc interaction, including the materials and surface properties of the planar surface and disc, the speed and direction of the disc's motion, and the amount of force applied to the disc.

Why is understanding planar/disc interaction important?

Understanding planar/disc interaction is important for a variety of reasons. It can help scientists and engineers design more efficient materials and structures, improve the performance and reliability of mechanical systems, and prevent failures and damage due to excessive stresses.

What methods are used to study planar/disc interaction?

There are several methods that can be used to study planar/disc interaction, including experimental techniques such as friction and wear tests, as well as theoretical approaches such as finite element analysis and molecular dynamics simulations.

What are some applications of planar/disc interaction?

Planar/disc interaction has many practical applications, such as in the design and development of bearings, brakes, and other mechanical systems. It is also relevant in fields such as materials science, tribology, and biomechanics, where understanding the interaction between surfaces is crucial for the performance and functionality of various materials and devices.