What Is the Angle Between the (111) and (1̅10) Planes in a Cubic Lattice?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Frinkz
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Index Lattice
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Frinkz
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Indicate the (111) and ([11]0) ([11] has an over line, so is negative, don't know how to do on forums!) planes in a cubic lattice in a diagram, then calculate the angle between them.


The Attempt at a Solution


I think I have drawn this right (see attatchment), but I am not sure what angle it is referring to.

I would guess it is 90 degrees (in red), but I doubt I would be asked this, maybe the other angle (purple), could someone give any thoughts?

Also if my drawing is wrong, let me know! I wasn't 100% sure about the negative (110)
 
Attachments
  • lattice.jpg
    lattice.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 545
Physics news on Phys.org
Take the angle between the normals to the planes. It will eliminate ambiguity and it will be much easier. You should know what vector is normal to the plan (h k l) if you studied reciprocal lattice.