What is the angle between the two emerging beams of light?

In summary, a beam of light consisting of a mixture of red and blue light enters a 40°, 70°, 70° prism and is refracted at the first interface. The index of refraction for blue light is 1.530, and for red light it is 1.525. To find the angle between the two emerging beams of light, Snell's Law is used and it is assumed that the angle of incidence is 70° and the index of refraction for the prism is 1.52. However, this assumption may not be completely accurate. A diagram is recommended to better understand the problem and to determine the angle of incidence at the second interface.
FunkyFrap

Homework Statement

Light consisting of a mixture of red and blue light enters a 40°, 70°, 70° prism along a line parallel to the side opposite the 40° vertex. The index of refraction of the prism material for blue light is 1.530, and for red light it is 1.525. What is the angle between the two emerging beams of light?

Homework Equations

[itex]n_{1}*sin(Θ_{1}) = n_{2}*sin(Θ_{2})[/itex]
[itex]n_{red} = 1.525[/itex]
[itex]n_{blue} = 1.530[/itex]
[itex] ∆Θ = Θ_{blue} - Θ_{red}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is dispersion, so the incident light creates two refracted light rays. So, by Snell's Law

[itex] n*sin(Θ) = n_{red}*sin(Θ_{red}) [/itex]
[itex] n*sin(Θ) = n_{blue}*sin(Θ_{blue}) [/itex]

Now here's the part I'm not entirely sure about but decided to go with anyways:
I assumed [itex] Θ = 70^{°} [/itex] was the angle of incidence and that the index of refraction of the prism is the same as glass [itex] n = 1.52 [/itex]

Plugging in I get
[itex]Θ_{blue} = 69.5^{°}[/itex]
[itex]Θ_{red} = 69.0^{°}[/itex]

Therefore,
[itex] ∆Θ = 0.5^{°}[/itex]

which is one of the answers! But...I'm not too confident about this result because I only assumed what Θ was and what the index of refraction of the prism was without exactly knowing why. So even if my answer's right I still don't completely understand what I did.

Could anyone help me out with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
FunkyFrap said:
But...I'm not too confident about this result because I only assumed what Θ was and what the index of refraction of the prism was without exactly knowing why.
Two things:
(1) The angles of incidence and refraction are measured from the normal to the surface.
(2) The light passes through two surfaces, thus two refractions must be considered.

Draw yourself a diagram!

PhysicsProblem.png

Here's the diagram I drew for the problem. I had it on paper so I re-drew in Paint.
Now I'm have doubts if that's even right, heh.

Are you sure that there's total internal reflection at the second interface?

gneill said:
Are you sure that there's total internal reflection at the second interface?

On second thought, no actually. Truthfully I doodled that after looking at some the book's pictures of light bouncing off a droplet.

Is this better? It looks like it makes more sense this time around.
PhysicsProblem.png

Better, yes. You might want to exaggerate the angle of refraction at the first surface a bit to reveal the geometry. You'll need the angle of incidence at the second interface.

gneill said:
Better, yes. You might want to exaggerate the angle of refraction at the first surface a bit to reveal the geometry. You'll need the angle of incidence at the second interface.
PhysicsProblem.png

One problem. The beam of light will not stay horizontal. It will bend at the first interface (there is refraction after all). So your angle f will not be angle of incidence for the second interface.

1. What do you mean by "angle between the two emerging beams of light"?

The angle between two emerging beams of light refers to the angle formed between the two beams of light as they exit a medium or interact with each other. It is measured in degrees or radians and is an important concept in understanding the behavior of light.

2. How is the angle between two emerging beams of light calculated?

The angle between two emerging beams of light can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The specific formula depends on the type of light interaction and the properties of the medium the light is passing through.

3. What factors affect the angle between two emerging beams of light?

The angle between two emerging beams of light can be affected by several factors, including the refractive index of the medium, the angle of incidence, and the type of light interaction (such as reflection, refraction, or diffraction).

4. Can the angle between two emerging beams of light be greater than 90 degrees?

Yes, the angle between two emerging beams of light can be greater than 90 degrees. This can occur when the two beams of light are traveling in different directions or when they undergo multiple reflections or refractions.

5. Why is the angle between two emerging beams of light important in scientific research?

The angle between two emerging beams of light is important in scientific research because it can provide insights into the properties of the medium and the behavior of light. It is also used in various experiments and technologies, such as optical instruments and fiber optics.