What is the angle of projection?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving projectile motion, where a projectile is fired with a horizontal range equal to three times its maximum height. The conversation goes through multiple equations and attempts to find the angle of projection, with a mistake initially made regarding the vertical motion being constant speed instead of accelerated. The conversation ends with a hint to find the average speed during the rise to maximum height, leading to the correct solution of 53.1 degrees.
cryptoguy
[SOLVED] simple projectile motion..

Homework Statement

A projectile is fired in such a way that its horizontal range is equal to 3 times its maximum height. What is the angle of projection?

Homework Equations

whole bunch for proj motion.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Dx = 3Dy. Let "t" be the time it takes for proj to reach max height.
Dy = Vy*t (vertical)
3Dy = 2Vx*t (horizontal)

Vy/Vx = (2t*dy)/(3t*dy) = 2/3

inverse tan (2/3) = 34 degrees, but the answer is 53.1 degrees. Any ideas what's wrong?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
cryptoguy said:
I know that Dx = 3Dy. Let "t" be the time it takes for proj to reach max height.
When Dy is max, Dx is only half the range.
Dy = Vy*t (vertical)
The vertical motion is accelerated, not constant speed.
3Dy = 2Vx*t (horizontal)
OK.

Ok lol what a stupid mistake about the Dy. But now I'm not sure what to do... I know Vf = Vi + at. So Vy = 9.8t, and it still doesn't help me solve Vy/Vx because I get (9.8t^2)/(3Dy). Thank you for any help

Hint: If Vy is the intial speed (in the vertical direction), find the average speed during the rise to maximum height. Dy will equal average speed x time.

aha got it thank you for your help.

1. What is the angle of projection?

The angle of projection is the angle at which an object is launched or thrown into the air, relative to the ground.

2. How is the angle of projection determined?

The angle of projection is determined by the direction in which the object is launched or thrown, relative to the ground. It is usually measured in degrees.

3. What is the significance of the angle of projection?

The angle of projection affects the trajectory and distance traveled by the object. A different angle of projection can result in a different path or distance covered by the object.

4. How does the angle of projection impact projectile motion?

The angle of projection is a key factor in determining the shape of a projectile's path, known as its trajectory. A higher angle of projection will result in a steeper trajectory, while a lower angle of projection will result in a flatter trajectory.

5. Can the angle of projection be changed during flight?

No, the angle of projection remains constant throughout the flight of the object. However, factors such as air resistance and wind can affect the trajectory and distance traveled by the object.