What is the Angular Momentum of Harry Potter on a Spinning Merry-Go-Round?

In summary, Harry Potter, with a mass of 50.0 kg, is sitting 2.0 meters from the center of a merry-go-round. When Draco Malfoy casts a spell that glues Harry in place and starts the merry-go-round spinning on its axis, Harry can withstand up to 5.0 g's of acceleration before passing out. To find the magnitude of Harry's angular momentum when he passes out, we use the equation L=mvr and solve for v by considering that the acceleration of 5g is acting along the direction of the radius.
bazookajason

Homework Statement

Harry Potter is sitting 2.0 meters from the center of a merry-go-round when Draco Malfoy casts a spell that glues
Harry in place and then makes the merry-go-round start spinning on its axis. Harry has a mass of 50.0 kg and can
withstand 5:0 g's of acceleration before passing out. What is the magnitude of Harry's angular momentum when
he passes out?

Homework Equations

T=I alpha
L=mvr

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming that the spell is a force then rF = I alpha. And using alpha = a/r, we using the max acceleration of 5g that
5mgr = Ia/r
However I'm not sure where to go from this, how do i get v? as time is unknwon

Physics news on Phys.org
bazookajason said:

Homework Statement

Harry Potter is sitting 2.0 meters from the center of a merry-go-round when Draco Malfoy casts a spell that glues
Harry in place and then makes the merry-go-round start spinning on its axis. Harry has a mass of 50.0 kg and can
withstand 5:0 g's of acceleration before passing out. What is the magnitude of Harry's angular momentum when
he passes out?

Lets look at the second eqn you mentioned,
L=mvr
you have m,r. what you need is v

Now, what do you think the acceleration 5g is acting along (direction)?

oh i see mv^2/r = ma a=5g :D
thanks!

Related to What is the Angular Momentum of Harry Potter on a Spinning Merry-Go-Round?

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is angular momentum different from linear momentum?

Angular momentum is the measure of rotational motion, while linear momentum is the measure of straight-line motion. Angular momentum also takes into account the object's moment of inertia, while linear momentum does not.

3. What factors affect angular momentum?

The factors that affect angular momentum include the mass of the object, its velocity, and its moment of inertia. Changes in any of these factors can alter the object's angular momentum.

4. How is angular momentum conserved?

According to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. This means that if one object's angular momentum increases, another object's must decrease by an equal amount to maintain the total angular momentum.

5. What are some real-world applications of angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a key concept in understanding the motion of objects in space, such as planets and satellites. It is also important in many everyday activities, such as throwing a frisbee or riding a bicycle. In addition, angular momentum is used in various fields of science and engineering, including robotics, aerospace, and fluid dynamics.