What is the Apparent Weight of a Pendulum on a Trapeze?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
katkinson
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I am trying to determine the apparent weight while on a trapeze/pendulum. So far, I have heard that the apparent weight is either: a. the Fnet of all vertical forces (aka Centripetal force) and b. it is the force of tension. I am not sure which it is.

Homework Equations


a. Fnet/Fn/Fc=mv^2/r=Ft-mg cos (theta)

b. Fnet/Fc=mv^2/r= Ft - mg cos (theta); Ft=Fc + mg
Ft=Fn
so: Fn= Fc + mg

FBD is attached

The Attempt at a Solution



The solution is either
Fn= Fc + mg
or
Fn= mv^2 /r

However, I don't know the reasons why either of these would be correct
 
Attachments
  • Screen Shot 2013-11-24 at 6.54.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-24 at 6.54.27 PM.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 695
Physics news on Phys.org