Apparent weight of a body with upward acceleration

In summary, an apparent weight is calculated by taking the true weight and adding the effect of the body's mass and gravity.
TH02
Homework Statement
What is the apparent weight during take-off of an astronaut whose actual weight is 750N if the resultant upward acceleration is 5g?
Relevant Equations
F=ma
Weight = mg
I initially attempted to get the answer by multiplying the mass by 50, as I assumed if the upward acceleration was 5g then the weight could be found by just multiplying the mass by the acceleration of 50ms^-2. However that resulted in an answer of 3750 which was far below the correct answer of 4500. After much trial and error I only got the correct answer when I multiplied the mass of 75kg by an acceleration of 60ms^-2, however I do not understand why this works.

Physics news on Phys.org
TH02 said:
Homework Statement:: What is the apparent weight during take-off of an astronaut whose actual weight is 750N if the resultant upward acceleration is 5g?
Relevant Equations:: F=ma
Weight = mg

I initially attempted to get the answer by multiplying the mass by 50, as I assumed if the upward acceleration was 5g then the weight could be found by just multiplying the mass by the acceleration of 50ms^-2. However that resulted in an answer of 3750 which was far below the correct answer of 4500. After much trial and error I only got the correct answer when I multiplied the mass of 75kg by an acceleration of 60ms^-2, however I do not understand why this works.
What's the weight if the upward acceleration is zero?

PeroK said:
What's the weight if the upward acceleration is zero?
Wouldn't it just be 750N?

TH02 said:
Wouldn't it just be 750N?
Yes. And what if the upward acceleration is ##1g##?

PeroK said:
Yes. And what if the upward acceleration is ##1g##?
75N?

TH02 said:
75N?
How do you get that?

PeroK said:
How do you get that?
My thinking was if I have a gravitational field strength of 10ms^-2 acting downwards and I also have an upwards acceleration of 1g (I think this is 10ms^2 in this context) acting in the opposite direction, they would cancel out? I have a feeling I'm making a big mistake here

TH02 said:
My thinking was if I have a gravitational field strength of 10ms^-2 acting downwards and I also have an upwards acceleration of 1g (I think this is 10ms^2 in this context) acting in the opposite direction, they would cancel out? I have a feeling I'm making a big mistake here
You should be thinking in terms of forces. When there is more than one force, you must add them together to get the unbalanced force (*). See the Khan academy page. You should also learn about free body diagrams if you haven't already.

(*) Note that force is a vector quantity.

PeroK said:
You should be thinking in terms of forces. When there is more than one force, you must add them together to get the unbalanced force (*). See the Khan academy page. You should also learn about free body diagrams if you haven't already.

(*) Note that force is a vector quantity.
Thank you, I'll have a look

Have you drawn a free body diagram of the astronaut showing the forces acting on him, or do you think you have advanced beyond the need to do that?

Chestermiller said:
Have you drawn a free body diagram of the astronaut showing the forces acting on him, or do you think you have advanced beyond the need to do that?
I drew a free body diagram but I'm not sure if I did it correctly

TH02 said:
I drew a free body diagram but I'm not sure if I did it correctly
Let’s see it and the associated force balance equation.

Chestermiller said:
Chestermiller said:
I'm not sure what you mean by force balance equation
But here is a rough free body diagram
IMG_20200703_163354130.jpg

TH02 said:
I'm not sure what you mean by force balance equation
But here is a rough free body diagram
View attachment 265763
That clearly shows a downward force and an upward acceleration!

However, perhaps the real question in this case is what is weight anyway?

I don’t see a. gravitational force acting on him, and I don’t see an upward force from the seat he is in.

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
That clearly shows a downward force and an upward acceleration!

However, perhaps the real question in this case is what is weight anyway?
Isn't weight the force acting on the mass of a body due to the gravitational attraction of the earth?

Chestermiller said:
I don’t see a. gravitational force acting on him, and I don’t see an upward force from the seat he is in.
Ah yes, maybe I should step back for a moment and learn how to properly do FBD's

TH02 said:
Isn't weight the force acting on the mass of a body due to the gravitational attraction of the earth?

Yes, then I guess the question is what is the apparent weight you are asked to calculate?

PeroK said:
Yes, then I guess the question is what is the apparent weight you are asked to calculate?
I'm not quite sure, would it be a sum of the true weight and the force caused by the body's mass and acceleration?

TH02 said:
I'm not quite sure, would it be a sum of the true weight and the force caused by the body's mass and acceleration?
Note that acceleration does not cause a force. An unbalanced force causes acceleration.

In this case I would take apparent weight to be the force between the astronaut and the seat she is sitting in.

TH02 said:
Isn't weight the force acting on the mass of a body due to the gravitational attraction of the earth?Ah yes, maybe I should step back for a moment and learn how to properly do FBD's
Obviously

I've figured out how to do the FBD's and I think I've got it now, thanks for the help and sorry for being a bit thick
##F-mg=ma##
##F=mg+ma##
##F=m(g+a)##
##F=75(10+50)=4500N##

Likes PeroK
TH02 said:
I've figured out how to do the FBD's and I think I've got it now, thanks for the help and sorry for being a bit thick
##F-mg=ma##
##F=mg+ma##
##F=m(g+a)##
##F=75(10+50)=4500N##
Yes, but you did not need to assume a value for g.
If the upward acceleration is 5g then the apparent weight is 6 times the rest weight.

Likes hmmm27

What is the apparent weight of a body with upward acceleration?

The apparent weight of a body with upward acceleration is the force exerted by the body on its support, which is equal to the sum of the body's actual weight and the force of acceleration. It is the weight that would be measured by a scale placed under the body.

How is the apparent weight of a body with upward acceleration calculated?

The apparent weight of a body with upward acceleration can be calculated using the formula W = mg + ma, where W is the apparent weight, m is the mass of the body, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the body in the upward direction.

What factors affect the apparent weight of a body with upward acceleration?

The apparent weight of a body with upward acceleration is affected by the mass of the body, the acceleration due to gravity, and the acceleration of the body in the upward direction. Additionally, the support structure and the presence of any external forces can also affect the apparent weight.

How does the apparent weight of a body with upward acceleration differ from its actual weight?

The apparent weight of a body with upward acceleration is different from its actual weight because it takes into account the additional force of acceleration. This means that the apparent weight may be greater or less than the actual weight depending on the direction and magnitude of the acceleration.

What is the relationship between the apparent weight and the acceleration of a body in the upward direction?

The apparent weight and the acceleration of a body in the upward direction have a direct relationship. As the acceleration increases, the apparent weight also increases, and as the acceleration decreases, the apparent weight decreases. This is because the force of acceleration adds to or subtracts from the actual weight of the body.