What is the appropriate age for your kid to get their ears pierced?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mesa
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Age
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 7K views
Astronuc said:
I had been considering getting an earring probably since high school, or even junior high.

At the time, I had long hair and a beard.

You had long hair and a beard in Junior high?! Lol.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
DiracPool said:
You had long hair and a beard in Junior high?! Lol.
From the context, when I got my ear pierced during university.

I had stubble/whiskers on my chin around 10th grade, and I started shaving, which I disliked. I usually shaved once every other week.

In 1977, I got tired of shaving, so stopped. I shaved once or twice in May, 1981, and that was the last time.


However, that's way OT.

Please let's stay on the topic of the age at which it is appropriate for children to have pierced ears. I favor an informed, thoughtful decision precipitated by a deliberative conversation with the parents.
 
fluidistic said:
Here in Argentina it's common to pierce the ears of female newborns.

Is this a common custom across Latin America, or is it unique to Argentina?

Perhaps this reflects my upbringing and thus my own cultural bias (see my post earlier in this thread about my mother's shock about young girls getting their ears pierced), but I've always found the idea of piercing the ears of female newborns to be bizarre.
 
DiracPool said:
Personally, I would not be caught dead with a tattoo. Ostensibly, a tattoo is supposed to mark upon your "self" some inexuastible logic or sentiment.

Sorry, but in my eye it brands you as an idiot.

What life is about is about is change, it's about moving on, humility.

In my mind, tattooing some permanent statement on your body is really a shortsighted vision of what humanity can strive to be.

I would say there are a few notable exceptions,
pig_zpsfc3f77cb.jpg

:)