Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the appropriate age for your kid to get their ears pierced?

1. Jul 17, 2014 #1
    My little girl, who just turned five, asked if she could have her ears pierced. The answer was 'not for awhile', but that got me thinking, what is the appropriate age for her to get her ears pierced?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2014 #2

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would not even consider that a reasonable request before she is 8. I think it important to instill a sense of self importance before they enter school. It's hard enough to shield them from self indulgence after they enter school.

4. Jul 18, 2014 #3
    I would say even eight seems a bit 'young', perhaps in her teens? I worry about being overbearing :P

5. Jul 18, 2014 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Piercing ears is not such a big deal right? I agree letting the child wait to consider the decision would be a good thing to install patience and deliberation, but the teen years sounds a bit on the late side. I guess a good time would be when the child is responsible enough to take care of the pierced ears (of course under supervision), if the child is responsible enough to rotate the studs regularly and apply the disinfectant solution then I'd say it's ready.

6. Jul 18, 2014 #5
    I think the more important question is what is the appropriate age for the youngins to get their tongues pierced? Is it 13? Or what?

Thirteen2003Poster.jpg

7. Jul 18, 2014 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At least 21!

8. Jul 18, 2014 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When my daughter was 9, she wanted to shave her legs. I was hesitant, since I associate body shaving with dating :redface:. But she simply saw it as a "girly" thing. So I bought her some razors, and gave her some safety tips. She was thrilled!

A month later she was tired of it. It took so much time, and when she would skip a day there would be uncomfortable stubble. I agreed with her that it was kind of a pain in the neck.

So she let her leg hair grow back. She didn't shave again until she started dating.

My point is, kids don't grow up in a neat, linear way. It's often two steps forward, one back. I think it's OK for them to try "grown up" things when they're young. Once they satisfy their curiosity, the novelty wears off and they usually go back to being kids.

I don't see ear piercing as a big deal, as long as she is mature enough to keep the holes clean as they heal. If she looses interest and the holes close, a small nub of scar tissue on her ear lobe is pretty minor in the big picture.

9. Jul 18, 2014 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Talk to the daughter and discuss why.

It's perhaps a cultural/familial/personal decision. Some parents have their babies ears pierced, which I don't understand. Others allow children at about one's daughter's age.

I think it's important to discuss the why to assure that the daughter doesn't have issues with appearance. Otherwise, I agree with lisab and Monique.

I got my left ear pierced when I was 20. I had been contemplating it for a couple of years, and finally went and did it. My mom was distressed.

10. Jul 18, 2014 #9
    I've seen babies with earrings. That's just creepy. The rationalization I've heard is that "they won't remember the pain." So you can just cause your child unnecessary pain just because they won't remember it? That's absurd. I'd say when she's old enough to start dressing up and becoming feminine, and she understands the pain and the responsibility of it. So about 13 or so, I'd say.
    When they're on their own and they're free to make their own decisions. I wouldn't entertain teenage shenanigans, which is what tongue piercing is.

11. Jul 18, 2014 #10

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My wife and I went through this a few years ago. My wife won. In south-asian culture, it is common for girls to get their ears pierced at a very young, so my daughter had hers done at age four or five (a little late with respect to my daughter's cousins). My daughter turns eight in a few weeks, and we haven't had any problems.

12. Jul 18, 2014 #11

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

This is very true. I myself got both my ears pierced when I was two years of age and so far there hasn't been any issue whatsoever, not that I wear earrings anymore haha. This may just be a cultural thing but in my parents' culture an ear piercing is just an ear piercing and nothing more. It's just aesthetics.

13. Jul 18, 2014 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I think I was 7 when I had my ears pierced. My mother was old fashioned and in her culture girls got their ears pierced around the time of their first communion. I still have my first earrings. I'm glad it was done at that age. It was done by our doctor, not some teenager at a mall costume jewelry store.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  14. Jul 18, 2014 #13

nsaspook

Science Advisor

It was the same with my youngest girl. Ears pierced at 8 so she could be a communion princess.

15. Jul 18, 2014 #14

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

This made me think. My mother is Japanese and she did not get her ears pierced until our family had moved to North America (at the age of 30), and she was shocked at how young girls in the US (and by extension Canada) get their ears pierced (my aunt on my father's side had my cousin's ears pierced as a baby, which just seemed so weird to me). My sister did not get her ears pierced until she was 16.

16. Jul 18, 2014 #15
    Yeah, I remember back in the 80's, when I was 20, that getting your left ear pierced was kind of the new thing. Woah!! A guy getting his ear pierced? What a brave new world. I was like Astronuc, should I do this? Remember, I was 20. Basically, at that age I would have done just about anything, including sticking an arrow through my head, if I thought it would get me laid (pardon the vulgarity).

martin.jpg

In any case, I remember one night me and a friend of mine on a booze cruise (which we ran), basically did a "scientific" survey asking about 20-30 different girls whether or not they thought a guy having a pierced ear was sexy or not. The unequivocal response was that it didn't matter one way or another (sounds familiar, huh?). The only qualification was that "right is wrong!" as I'm sure Astronuc remembers, which is why he got his left ear pierced.:tongue:

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot the punchline, which is that me and my buddy were relieved that it wasn't necessary to get our left ear pierced... So to this day, I have virgin earlobes.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  17. Jul 18, 2014 #16

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When my daughter was talking about piercings, I would always bring up other body parts ... as I never found piercings attractive.

She complied with not getting any but got this instead. :surprised

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img856/9641/pilsungtattoo.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  18. Jul 18, 2014 #17

wukunlin

Gold Member

I just don't understand the whole thing with punching holes and leaving marks on the body

19. Jul 18, 2014 #18
    I tried to scan that image with my new smartphone and it's google translater, but it didn't work, dlgoff. What does that cypher say in the Queen's English?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  20. Jul 18, 2014 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A very high percentage of young folks have tattoos now.

I work in a very conservative place. We've had a number of new hires in the last year - all young people. Nearly every one of them has a tattoo. Several have piercing holes on their faces, but none have worn their facial hardware to work. Yet. One has purple hair, so I'm sure we'll be seeing face metal soon enough.

I think we've reached a critical mass wrt tattoos and piercings!

21. Jul 18, 2014 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Amazing how many artists leave it out, but Shakespeare supposedly had a pierced ear, too:

CHANDOS3.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook