1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the approximate diameter of an oil molecule?

1. Jun 4, 2010 #1
    You can obtain a rough estimate of the size of a molecule with the following simple experiment: Let a droplet of oil spread out on a fairly large but smooth water surface. The resulting ”oil slick” that forms on the surface of the water will be approximately one molecule
    thick.
    Given an oil droplet with a mass of 8.85 × 10^−7 kg and a density of 923 kg/m3 that spreads out to form a circle with a radius of 43.2 cm on the water surface, what is the approximate diameter of an oil molecule?
    Answer in units of m.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Hi xxcherry06xx, welcome to PF.

Volume = mass / density.

π*r^2*d = mass/density, where d is the diameter of the molecule.

Substitute the values and find d.

4. Jun 4, 2010 #3
    I tried that but I still can't get the right answer. I keep getting 0.000000002 but it's saying it's not right on my homework.

5. Jun 4, 2010 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

I am getting 1.635x10-9m.

6. Jun 4, 2010 #5
    Okay I will try it thank you!! I have one more question for you... it is a picture because i don't know how to type it html style but the link is..

http://yfrog.com/jv42157278p

I assumed it was the sum of xi = 4.9 i + 6.06 where i =1 then take that answer and ^4.
    I don't know what else that equation can mean? Can you please help.?

7. Jun 4, 2010 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

x1 = 4.9*1 + 6.06

x2 = 4.9*2 + 6.06

Continue till i = 4, simplify and add all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?