1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measuring the size of a molecule

1. May 17, 2011 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to determine the size of a molecule..by doing the oil drop experiment where we drop a tiny droplet of oil on water covered with a thin layer of powder...and then make calculations based on the diameter of the circle... the droplet forms in oil.

3. The attempt at a solution
    However, the oil droplet for me is not making a circle..rather is spreading out irregularly. How can I fix this.

Everything i have used is according to this site:
    Code (Text):

but i have used talcum powder instead of lycopodeum powder
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2011 #2

Homework Helper

I never saw a circular oil patch when my students did this experiment.
    An irregular size is not much of a problem because the whole experiment is more of an estimate than a measurement. Just estimate the area of the oil patch. You can make a very good estimate if you make a grid of square cm on a transparency and hold it over the patch. A nice touch is to estimate the minimum and maximum possible area. Use a number midway between these as your "best" value, but also work out the size of a molecule using the low and the high. Then you will have not only a "best" answer but a known accuracy range.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?