What is the attractive electric force between the ions?

In summary, the attractive electric force between singly charged sodium and chloride ions in crystals of table salt (NaCl) is 2.9 x 10^-9N, with a negative sign indicating that one of the ions is negatively charged. This is calculated using Coulomb's law and the distance between the ions of 2.82 x 10^-10m.
predentalgirl1
[SOLVED] Electric Force Question

The distance between neighboring singly charged sodium and chloride ions in crystals of table salt (NaCl) is 2.82 x 10^-10 m. What is the attractive electric force between the ions?

By coulomb’s law,
Electric force F = [1/4πεo] q1 q2/ r^2
= 9.0 x 10^9 (1.6 x 10^-19) / (2.82 x 10^-12)^2
= 2.9 x 10^9 N (force of attraction)

Correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
One is positively charged and the other is negatively charged. Is the distance 2.82x10-10m or 2.82 x10-12m?

Kurdt said:
One is positively charged and the other is negatively charged. Is the distance 2.82x10-10m or 2.82 x10-12m?

The distance is supposed to be 2.82 x 10^-10. So... the answer should be 1.26 x 10^10 N? Did I work this question correctly or is it all wrong?

Your first answer was in the right area, but I got it to be -2.9x10-9N.

Kurdt said:

Could you show me how you got that answer? Because I'm still coming up with the same answer.

I think you've just forgot to square the charge. Remember its [itex]q_1q_2=(1.6x10^{-19})^2[/itex].

I'm just not getting this for some reason and it seems so simple...now I'm getting 2.89 x 10^-1. Where am I making a mistake? Could you please help me work through this problem?

Kurdt said:

Why do you have that as a negative?

An attractive force is negative. One of the ions will be negatively charged and the other will be positively charged giving a negative answer.

(9x109*1.6x10-19*1.6x10-19)/(2.82x10-10)2

Ok...I reworked it and got 2.9 x 10^-11 (so do I just add a negative since an attractive force is negative?) Is this right?

Edit: 2.9 x 10^-9...or -2.9 x 10^-9

Last edited:
Yes. That would be correct. the negative comes from the fact that one of the charges has to be negative. Rather than include it in the calculations i just remember that the answer will be negative once I've plugged all the numbers in.

1. What is an attractive electric force between ions?

The attractive electric force between ions is a type of electrostatic force that exists between positively and negatively charged ions. It is caused by the attraction between opposite charges, and it is a fundamental force that holds atoms and molecules together in ionic compounds.

2. How is the attractive electric force between ions calculated?

The attractive electric force between ions is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. It can be represented by the equation F = k(Q1*Q2)/d^2, where F is the force, k is a constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the ions, and d is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the strength of the attractive electric force between ions?

The strength of the attractive electric force between ions is affected by three main factors: the magnitude of the charges on the ions, the distance between the ions, and the medium between the ions. The larger the charges on the ions, the stronger the force will be. The closer the ions are to each other, the stronger the force will be. And the type of medium between the ions can also affect the force, with a higher dielectric constant resulting in a weaker force.

4. How does the attractive electric force between ions contribute to the formation of ionic compounds?

In ionic compounds, the attractive electric force between ions is responsible for holding the positively and negatively charged ions together in a lattice structure. The strong electrostatic attraction between the ions creates a stable compound, and the resulting compound is characterized by high melting and boiling points and a crystalline structure.

5. Can the attractive electric force between ions be broken or disrupted?

Yes, the attractive electric force between ions can be broken or disrupted by applying an external force, such as heat or pressure. This can cause the ions to move farther apart, weakening the force between them. Additionally, adding or removing electrons from the ions can also change the strength of the force between them.