1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the average of fall distances

1. Mar 28, 2015 #1
    [no template, as this post was moved from here from the Quantum Mechanics forum]

In griffiths 2nd quantum mechnics,

problem : Suppose I drop a rock off a cliff of height h. As if falls, I snap a million photographs, at random intervals. On each picture I measure the distance the rock has fallen.

Question : What is the average of all these distances? That is to say, what is the time average of the distance traveled?

I know p(x) is 1/2(hX)^(1/2) and can solve the problem like : Integral(from 0 to h)x dx/2(hX)^(1/2)

other method is : Integral(from 0 to T) x dt/T

but I don't know how it's possible. that means p(t) = 1/T .. but T is constant{ (2h/g)^1/2}

and I don't know meaning of dt/T

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Here's how I would do that- the constant acceleration due to gravity is -g. The velocity, at time t isv(t)= -gt+ v0. Since the rock was "dropped", rather than thrown up or down, v0= 0 and v(t)= -gt. Then the distance traveled in t seconds is [itex]s(t)= -(g/2)t^2+ h[/itex]. The rock will hit the bottom when [itex]s(t)= -(g/2)t^2+ h= 0[/itex] so when [itex]t= \sqrt{2h/g}[/itex]. The average of a function, f(t), for t between a and b, is [itex]\int f(t)dt/(b- a)[/itex] so the average height, for t between 0 and [itex]\sqrt{2h/g}[/itex] is [tex]\frac{\int_0^{\sqrt{2h/g}}( -(g/2)t^2+ h) dt}{\sqrt{2h/g}}[/tex]

4. Mar 28, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand your notation - I think you mix different things here. p(t) in the first approach looks like the position, while in the second approach it seems to be a probability to take a picture at a specific time. But then the integral should have the position as function of time, not x.

5. Sep 2, 2015 #4
    I think the problem and his approach was worded so strangely. I had to just close the book and think about it by myself, and figure out how I'd define each piece of the problem mathematically. Then how I could manipulate each piece in order to integrate it. Turned out it was pretty much identical.

Sorry I necro'd this thread. I just had to see if anyone else struggled with this example. Then I wanted to say how I approached the problem so anyone else in the future can maybe try the same type of thing if they were also confused.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted