What is the bare Minimum Lagrangian\Hamiltonian mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's self-learning of general relativity and their understanding of the necessary knowledge of an action principle. It is mentioned that a basic understanding of Lagrangian mechanics is necessary, but not to the extent of non-linear dynamics and Hamiltonian mechanics. The theory of general relativity is described as stating that spacetime is a smooth manifold with a metric that satisfies Einstein's equation, but the derivation of this equation is not typically included in introductory courses. The individual expresses concern about having to read through the entire book, but it is noted that some GR books do include a derivation of the field equations from an action principle.
cpsinkule
I am currently trying to self learn general relativity. I understand you need knowledge of an action principle, but what I am not so sure of is how deep of an understanding I need. I currently have a book on classical field theory and I am at the point of basic Lagrangian's and holonomic systems. I can compute lagrangians and I am very familiar with the E-L equation, but I have yet to come to non-linear dynamics and hamiltonian mechanics. My question boils down to how much do I need for an introduction to G-rel?

Physics news on Phys.org
GR is the theory that says that spacetime is a smooth manifold with a metric that satisfies Einstein's equation. A derivation of Einstein's equation from an action principle wouldn't even be a part of the theory. That derivation is also not included in most introductory courses, because it requires an understanding of integration of manifolds. So I'd say you don't need any knowledge of Lagrangian mechanics at all.

thanks so much, I was worried id have to drudge through the other 600 pages of this book, however I was under the impression that any physical theory usually has a side-kick action formulation (i have several books on grel, but wald's was the only one to mention it)

Well, I have GR books ranging from 1921 (two of them) to 1973 (MTW). All describe derivation of the field equations from an action principle. I would agree that in most of this is dealt with as a side topic that could be dispensed with without major loss. However, even an old, first course like Bergmann's 1942 book gets the vacuum field equation without variation, but introduces matter and EM fields via Hamiltonian to get appropriate stress energy tensor.

What is the bare minimum Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics?

The bare minimum Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics is a set of mathematical tools used to describe and analyze the motion of physical systems. It is based on the principles of classical mechanics, which state that the motion of a system can be described by its position, velocity, and acceleration. The Lagrangian and Hamiltonian are two different ways of formulating the equations of motion for a system.

What is the difference between the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian equations?

The Lagrangian and Hamiltonian equations are two different ways of expressing the equations of motion for a system. The Lagrangian approach uses generalized coordinates to describe the motion of a system, while the Hamiltonian approach uses generalized momenta. Both approaches can be used to solve problems in classical mechanics, but they have different strengths and weaknesses.

What are the advantages of using Lagrangian mechanics?

One advantage of using Lagrangian mechanics is that it provides a more general and elegant formulation of the equations of motion. It also allows for the use of constraints and generalized coordinates, making it easier to solve complex problems. Additionally, the Lagrangian approach is often more efficient computationally compared to the Hamiltonian approach.

What are the advantages of using Hamiltonian mechanics?

One advantage of using Hamiltonian mechanics is that it provides a more intuitive understanding of the physical system, as it is based on the concept of energy. It also allows for the use of canonical transformations, which can simplify the equations of motion and make them easier to solve. Additionally, the Hamiltonian approach is often more useful for systems with time-dependent forces or for studying the stability of a system.

How is Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics used in real-world applications?

Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is used to model and analyze the motion of mechanical systems such as pendulums, satellites, and even celestial bodies. It is also used in the development of new technologies and systems, such as spacecraft and robotic arms. Additionally, the principles of Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics are applied in quantum mechanics and other advanced areas of physics.