Non holonomic constraints in classical mechanics textbook

In summary, non-holonomic constraints in classical mechanics are restrictions on the possible movements of a system that cannot be expressed in terms of generalized coordinates. These constraints limit the motion of a system, resulting in more complex and varied patterns. Examples include rolling without slipping, sliding without friction, and fixed axes of rotation. They are typically represented using Lagrange multipliers or additional equations of motion. Non-holonomic constraints add complexity to the study of classical mechanics, but also allow for a more realistic representation of real-world systems and can lead to interesting and diverse motion patterns.
Kashmir
I want to learn about the non holonomic case in lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics. I've seen that many people say that Goldstein 3rd ed is wrong there.
Where should I go to learn it.
My mathematics level is at the level Goldstein uses.
Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
You can try greenwood's books:
- classical dynamics
- advanced dynamics.

Likes wrobel
u I. Neimark annd N. A. Fufaef, “Dynamics of Nonholonomic Systems,” Vol. 33, Translations of Mathematical Monographs, American Mathematical Society, Providence, 1972.

• Informative
Likes dextercioby, andresB and vanhees71

1. What are non holonomic constraints in classical mechanics?

Non holonomic constraints in classical mechanics refer to restrictions on the motion of a system that cannot be described by a set of independent generalized coordinates. These constraints are typically expressed as inequalities or differential equations, and they limit the possible motions of a system.

2. How do non holonomic constraints impact the equations of motion?

Non holonomic constraints affect the equations of motion by introducing additional terms that account for the constraints. These terms are often referred to as constraint forces or Lagrange multipliers, and they are necessary to ensure that the system satisfies the constraints while still following the laws of motion.

3. What is the difference between holonomic and non holonomic constraints?

The main difference between holonomic and non holonomic constraints is that holonomic constraints can be expressed as a set of independent equations, while non holonomic constraints cannot. Holonomic constraints also do not introduce any additional terms in the equations of motion, while non holonomic constraints do.

4. Can non holonomic constraints be removed?

In general, non holonomic constraints cannot be removed. However, in some cases, they can be approximated or replaced with holonomic constraints that have a similar effect. This is known as constraint approximation or constraint relaxation, and it is often used in practical applications of classical mechanics.

5. How are non holonomic constraints used in real-world applications?

Non holonomic constraints are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as robotics, vehicle dynamics, and control systems. They are particularly useful for describing systems with rolling or sliding constraints, such as wheeled vehicles or moving platforms. Non holonomic constraints can also be used to model complex mechanical systems, such as those found in biomechanics or fluid dynamics.