What is the best budget-friendly router with 1 GB Ethernet for under $150?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Borek
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Mentor
Messages
29,213
Reaction score
4,643
So, I need a new router. I don't need anything more fancy than the old one, perhaps 1 GB Ethernet would be a welcomed addition. As you may guess from the one I used up to today I am not entirely up to date with the newest gear. Any suggestions?

(and we are talking about $100-150 at most)
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Borek said:
So, I need a new router. I don't need anything more fancy than the old one, perhaps 1 GB Ethernet would be a welcomed addition. As you may guess from the one I used up to today I am not entirely up to date with the newest gear. Any suggestions?

(and we are talking about $100-150 at most)
I guess if you liked it, you could order the same exact thing. I searched online and it ranges from $50 to $90, but it'd be a few days before you get it, it looks like.
Just a thought.
 
Yes, they are still available and buying it for the second time it is an option that I consider quite seriously :smile: But after well over 10 years I have nothing against a small upgrade, especially when I already HAVE to buy something.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: scottdave
Borek said:
So, I need a new router. I don't need anything more fancy than the old one, perhaps 1 GB Ethernet would be a welcomed addition.
As @dlgoff mentioned, Netgear is worth looking at. A few years ago when I had to replace my router, I asked a few network folks I know and the consensus was Netgear had the fewest problems. I settled on model WNDR3700 (Ver.2, they are now up to Ver.4) which also meets your stated wish-list (Gigabit, Wireless, cost).

The wireless antenna(s) is built-in and adequate for medium house/large apartment. If you need maximum wireless range you would be better off with a model with multiple external antennae.

Whichever one you get, be sure to upgrade the firmware as soon as you get on line. The seller may be shipping old stock (read 'buggy'). As with any software, never buy version 1.

p.s. Just checked Netgear website. The WNDR3700 specs show System Requirements only up to Win8; plus Mac, Linux, UNIX
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
So, Netgear R6400 it is, already up and running. After some reading I decided it is not just upgrade to 1 GB Ethernet that makes sense, also ac is a good idea, as it is quite popular in the mobile devices. Turned out I was right, the moment I plugged the router in several of the devices I have at home happily connected using 5 GHz band.

Thanks for all suggestions. I still think about buying used WRT55GL for peanuts and keeping it stored and configured, just in case.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff