What is the best language for photoshop?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of adding shaders/plugins to Photoshop and the main language for this task, which is C++. The Photoshop SDK is a collection of C-language header files and requires a solid understanding of C to use. While there may be third-party wrappers for other languages, C++ is natively supported by the SDK.
Superposed_Cat
Hi, I recently got photoshop and was wondering how one would go about adding your own shaders/plugins. I am familiar with basic image algorithms and techniques:supereagle, 2xsai, supersampling, rasterization ect and can code in C++ which I heard was the main language for these things. Should I just use C++ or learn GSLS or rederman?. Thanks for any help/opinions.

Technology news on Phys.org
The Photoshop SDK is a bunch of C-language header files.

While one probably could be smart and use other languages for that, solid knowledge of C would be required. I am not sure whether the header files are directly compatible with C++; to use C++ where C is supposed to be used, one has to know both C++ and C very well.

Oh.That sucks, I hear the SDK has virtually no help/support online. So I couldn't just use GSLS? I just intentd on making simple shaders.

I have no idea what GSLS is. After another look at the SDK, it seems to support C++ natively.

There might be third-party wrappers for other languages, but you would have to look for them.

Likes 1 person

I cannot definitively say what the best language for Photoshop is, as it ultimately depends on personal preference and the specific task at hand. However, I can provide some insight and recommendations based on my knowledge and experience.

C++ is a widely used programming language in the field of computer graphics, and it is commonly used for developing plugins and shaders for Photoshop. It offers high performance and low-level control, making it a popular choice for graphics programming. Additionally, if you are already familiar with C++, it may be easier for you to learn and implement new techniques and algorithms in this language.

On the other hand, GLSL (Graphics Library Shader Language) and RenderMan are also commonly used languages for graphics programming, and both have their own strengths and advantages. GLSL is specifically designed for writing shaders, and it is supported by many graphics processing units (GPUs). RenderMan, on the other hand, is a high-level shading language that is used for creating photorealistic images and is commonly used in the film industry.

Ultimately, the best language for you to use in Photoshop depends on your specific goals and the type of plugins or shaders you want to create. If you are looking to create high-performance graphics, then C++ may be a good choice. If you are interested in creating photorealistic images, then RenderMan may be a better option. It may also be beneficial to learn multiple languages to have a wider range of tools and techniques at your disposal.

In conclusion, there is no one "best" language for Photoshop, as it depends on your specific needs and goals. I recommend researching and experimenting with different languages to find the one that works best for you and your projects.

1. What is the best language for photoshop?

The best language for photoshop is Adobe's proprietary scripting language, ExtendScript. It is specifically designed for use with Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, and allows for the creation of scripts and automation of tasks within the program.

2. Can I use other programming languages with photoshop?

While ExtendScript is the preferred language for photoshop, other programming languages such as JavaScript, VBScript, and AppleScript can also be used with the help of third-party plugins or extensions.

3. Is coding necessary for using photoshop?

No, coding is not necessary for using photoshop. The program has a user-friendly interface and many features can be accessed and used without any knowledge of coding. However, learning ExtendScript can greatly enhance the functionality and efficiency of photoshop for advanced users.

4. Are there any online resources for learning ExtendScript?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning ExtendScript, including Adobe's official documentation, tutorials on YouTube, and online courses on websites like Udemy and Lynda.com.

5. Can I use ExtendScript for other Adobe Creative Suite programs?

Yes, ExtendScript can be used for other Adobe Creative Suite programs such as Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and After Effects. It is a versatile language that allows for automation and customization across multiple Adobe programs.