Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multiple Languages - Comparison Thread

1. Jan 22, 2013 #1
    Are you familiar with multiple languages? This is the thread to discuss what languages you like the best, what advantages/disadvantages they have over others, etc.

I am familiar with C, Python, Ruby, Scratch, and JavaScript. That's all I can think of.

IMHO: Python and Scratch definitely rule over the others. Ruby is a lot like Python, but I find it much more confusing. C is a very old language, hard to learn, but useful in many cases. JavaScript is similar but also very useful. Scratch is plain awesome for any age, a great language for basic things and advanced animations.

I plan on learning Haskell, Mathematica, and R in the future. Do you recommend anything?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2013 #2
    I suggest learning C++ and Java. Lovely little languages, C++ should give you a handle on a (bleep) of a lot of concepts in programming (though this "mashing up" of a bunch of stuff has earned it criticism) and learning Java afterwards highlights a lot of them for more understanding.

4. Jan 22, 2013 #3

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey ahaanomegas.

Personally when I was actively programming (personal stuff, uni, and in a paid capacity) I worked with C/C++, Java, VB (Visual Basic), x86 Assember, and a few scripting languages for various purposes (including the Unreal Scripting Language).

Personally I like C++ the best due to its flexibility and features, but I am highly biased since I spent most of my time in this environment. Call it a kind of "nostalgia".

In terms of all languages, I've found that when they are used for the right purpose then they are good to deal with.

Game scripting languages have been developed as a result of requirements that have spanned many generations of games. This is good because it means you can get something up and running quickly if you know how game engines work.

I would say this is similar for other languages/platforms: they are good at a particular thing and not good at what they aren't designed for.

If you have a language that doesn't do at least one or two particular things well, then IMO it's pointless even using it.

I've also used a tonne of mathematics platforms like R, MATLAB, Maple, and SAS for various things and read about many other languages like LISP, ProLog, Small-Talk, BASICA, and FORTRAN amongst others.

My first language was QuickBASIC and I still don't mind using it even today to code up really simple simulations (if I don't use R).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook