What is the Best Saxophone Song?
- Thread starter Evo
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Schrodinger's Dog
- 840
- 7
Good song, Maroon 5.
Last edited by a moderator:
SticksandStones
- 88
- 0
In all honesty, can anyone compete with Time, by Pink Floyd?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
From another great Floyd album
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3DXCHa9BYfE
Flipping back nearly 4 decades to 1968
Amboy Dukes (with a young Ted Nugent) - Journey To The Center Of Your Mind
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DnkoIT2Ps7w
People dressed kind of funny back then.
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3DXCHa9BYfE
Flipping back nearly 4 decades to 1968
Amboy Dukes (with a young Ted Nugent) - Journey To The Center Of Your Mind
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DnkoIT2Ps7w
People dressed kind of funny back then.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
Another great group from the 70's
The Who
Who Are You -
The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again - (live)
The Who - Bargain (not too bad for some old guys)
Who - Baba O'Riley (live)
The Who - Love, Reign O'er Me (no video, just a great tune)
The Who
Who Are You -
The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again - (live)
The Who - Bargain (not too bad for some old guys)
Who - Baba O'Riley (live)
The Who - Love, Reign O'er Me (no video, just a great tune)
Last edited by a moderator:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 12,042
- 2,342
bee bop a lula, gene vincent; little nash rambler, ??; topsy part 2, cozy cole; heartbreak hotel, elvis; transfusion, nervous norvous; empty bed blues, bessie smith; coffee blues, mississippi john hurt; like a woman, bob dylan; she's outa my life, michael jackson; mozart's queen of the night, roberta peters; fishin' blues, taj mahal; tenbrooks and molly, ian and sylvia; 16 tons, tennessee ernie ford; i don't care if you don't want me, I am yours, screamin jay hawkins; think, aretha franklin; dock of the bay, otis redding;
SticksandStones
- 88
- 0
Astronuc said:Another great group from the 70's
The Who![]()
![]()
![]()
Who Are You -
The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again - (live)
The Who - Bargain (not too bad for some old guys)
Who - Baba O'Riley (live)
The Who - Love, Reign O'er Me (no video, just a great tune)
My personal favorite: The Who - Behind Blue Eyes
Last edited by a moderator:
BayernBlues
- 61
- 0
Why not just change the name of the thread to "What're You Listening To" since everyone has different taste in music and you can't really ask for best song. I'd have like 500 if I had to make a list.
Anyways, I'm listening to Keane (English band) right now. Their first album, Hopes & Fears is nice.
Anyways, I'm listening to Keane (English band) right now. Their first album, Hopes & Fears is nice.
Homework Helper
- 3,149
- 8
A beautiful one (not sure it's the official video though, but fits in perfect):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvDk_cwwNbI"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvDk_cwwNbI"
Last edited by a moderator:
Science Advisor
- 365
- 88
radou said:
That's awesome!
Here's a couple I like:
Not my favorite Josh Ritter song, but the video's cute. All Hell done broke loose:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zx_nYrBoNE&mode=related&search=
My favorite Eric Taylor song is 'Dean Moriarty', but 'Prison Movie' will have to do:
Last edited by a moderator:
Interposer
This is a very nice thread and I want to add a link to a favorite of a dear friend that became my favorite and brings back memories. It is devine.
Time to say goodbye (Con te partirò)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qCqBhbcXOVg&mode=related&search=
Something I noticed in this topic was so many times the video is not there anymore. I was taught a 'trick' to download from youtube.com were you add 'kiss' to the address in this manner shown below;
http://kissyoutube.com/watch?v=qCqBhbcXOVg&mode=related&search=
Now you can download instead of only watching.
Time to say goodbye (Con te partirò)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qCqBhbcXOVg&mode=related&search=
Something I noticed in this topic was so many times the video is not there anymore. I was taught a 'trick' to download from youtube.com were you add 'kiss' to the address in this manner shown below;
http://kissyoutube.com/watch?v=qCqBhbcXOVg&mode=related&search=
Now you can download instead of only watching.
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,859
- 6
Since this thread has turned into personal faves I guess I wanted to post the music of a local musician. I love his work and he is complimented very well by a guy called Ed Lauret who is a young guitarist and also my friend. Anyway the guys website has a few songs from his first album to listen to and they are superb.
http://www.thebluesfather.com/music.html
http://www.thebluesfather.com/music.html
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Toward the within "Rakim"
My Irish friend sent me this. I remember Dead can Dance. I love the hammered dulcimer, which is what she is playing. What language is that? Since my friend usually sends me Irish music, I at first thought it might be Irish, but the band is Australian, and the song reminds me of the Arabic influence found in Sicily. And again it doesn't.
I thought Astronuc might like this. I *LOVE* this kind of music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itwL5y0He-k&mode=related&search
My Irish friend sent me this. I remember Dead can Dance. I love the hammered dulcimer, which is what she is playing. What language is that? Since my friend usually sends me Irish music, I at first thought it might be Irish, but the band is Australian, and the song reminds me of the Arabic influence found in Sicily. And again it doesn't.
I thought Astronuc might like this. I *LOVE* this kind of music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itwL5y0He-k&mode=related&search
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
:!) Thanks Evo, that is great! I love the hammer dulcimer, which sounds a lot like the Indian Sitar, which I love.Evo said:My Irish friend sent me this. I remember Dead can Dance. I love the hammered dulcimer, which is what she is playing. What language is that? Since my friend usually sends me Irish music, I at first thought it might be Irish, but the band is Australian, and the song reminds me of the Arabic influence found in Sicily. And again it doesn't.
I thought Astronuc might like this. I *LOVE* this kind of music.
I think the vocals are Arabic initially then the second part is English.
I'll be keeping an eye open with respect to their performances.
Let me counter with -
Dead Can Dance - Desert Song
Last edited by a moderator:
HeavenTornApart
- 47
- 0
best song would have to be "all the young dudes" by matt the hoople
sorry no link
sorry no link
Homework Helper
- 3,149
- 8
Evo said:My Irish friend sent me this. I remember Dead can Dance. I love the hammered dulcimer, which is what she is playing. What language is that? Since my friend usually sends me Irish music, I at first thought it might be Irish, but the band is Australian, and the song reminds me of the Arabic influence found in Sicily. And again it doesn't.
I thought Astronuc might like this. I *LOVE* this kind of music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itwL5y0He-k&mode=related&search
I own this DVD. Advice: BUY IT.
Here, another few great videos from the DVD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuavAxbStDs"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7A6Tqr8kK8"
Absolute masterpieces.
Last edited by a moderator:
tehno
- 375
- 0
never heard of that group before.radou said:I own this DVD. Advice: BUY IT.It's outstanding.
Here, another few great videos from the DVD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuavAxbStDs"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7A6Tqr8kK8"
Absolute masterpieces.
must be I'm getting old...
Last edited by a moderator:
Homework Helper
- 3,149
- 8
One of my favourite Dire Straits songs, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSHzga_DFxs".
Last edited by a moderator:
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
I was never a huge fan of Dire Straits' "You and Your Friend" until I heard their live version. Here it is. Probably Knopfler's best guitar tone ever - laid back and perfectly timed and nuanced. I can approach his tone with my rig, but I'll need a serious talent transplant before I can pull off the rest.
Last edited by a moderator:
Homework Helper
- 3,149
- 8
turbo-1 said:I was never a huge fan of Dire Straits' "You and Your Friend" until I heard their live version. Here it is. Probably Knopfler's best guitar tone ever - laid back and perfectly timed and nuanced. I can approach his tone with my rig, but I'll need a serious talent transplant before I can pull off the rest.
Watching Knopfler play is a true enjoyment.
Another great song.
Last edited by a moderator:
tehno
- 375
- 0
To our PF Barbie, Math Is Hard, who has just celebrated her 15th
birthday ,goes this song:
For Evo,I picked legendary Tina:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmgTcc0R_yw&mode=related&search=
For Ivan Seeking from tehno,this crazy (and brilliant) one:
But the best out of the best ,as concerns tehno's taste,are Bono Vox and his
gang (U2) .The following two songs are orgy of lyrics ,melody,and instrumental performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0s-S5bLMz0&mode=related&search=
For Evo,I picked legendary Tina:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmgTcc0R_yw&mode=related&search=
For Ivan Seeking from tehno,this crazy (and brilliant) one:
But the best out of the best ,as concerns tehno's taste,are Bono Vox and his
gang (U2) .The following two songs are orgy of lyrics ,melody,and instrumental performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0s-S5bLMz0&mode=related&search=
Last edited by a moderator:
Homework Helper
- 3,149
- 8
Last edited by a moderator:
mattmns
- 1,129
- 5
Rakim - My Melody - (Note that this is not a music video, but just the song with a bunch of images)
One of the greatest hip-hop songs of all time! Clever and complex song!
One of the greatest hip-hop songs of all time! Clever and complex song!
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
And now for something completely different
Yundi Li Brings Power to Liszt's Piano Concerto No.1
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9451775
Yundi Li Brings Power to Liszt's Piano Concerto No.1
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9451775
Yundi Li performs Franz Liszt's Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No.1 in E flat major.Weekend Edition Sunday, April 8, 2007 · It took Franz Liszt 26 years to compose his Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 1 in E flat Major.
But his long years of off-and-on composition paid off. The work, which is said to have been modeled after Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, went on to become a staple on the concert calendar.
This week, the National Symphony Orchestra gave three performances of the concerto, featuring pianist Yundi Li. Since winning first prize at the 2000 Chopin International Piano Competition in Warsaw at 18, he has become a much in-demand performer around the world.
pivoxa15
- 2,250
- 1
I haven't followed this thread but I rate some of the songs by Simon and Garfunkel as the best ever. 'Sounds of silence' and 'Bridge over troubled waters' come to my mind. Has their songs been mentioned in this thread?
Similar threads
- Daniel Petka
- · Replies 92 ·
- Classical Physics
- Replies
- 92
- Anton Alice
- · Replies 6 ·
- Classical Physics
- Replies
- 6
- JonnyG
- · Replies 4 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 4
- ZapperZ
- · Replies 7 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 7
- micromass
- · Replies 106 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 106
- strangerep
- · Replies 30 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 30
- icarus5
- · Replies 13 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 13
- Evo
- · Replies 91 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 91
- Stratosphere
- · Replies 3 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 3
- hypatia
- · Replies 108 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 108