What is the Best Saxophone Song?
- Thread starter Evo
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 585K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Thrice
- 258
- 0
brian tyler - Inama Nushif
Last edited by a moderator:
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
That's true of everybody who has been playing long enough, though. There is stuff that I toss into bluesy leads that I've done for so long that they're second nature, and they come off really smooth. Once, after a lead that came off particularly well, a guitarist that I respect (and who is a FAR more skillful player overall) asked me "how do you do that bend?", and I had to guess which one he meant, so I said "this one?" and played a simple simultaneous full-stop bend on the G and B strings. That was it. He could pull it off with some difficulty because he doesn't have my hand strength, but he certainly couldn't incorporate that move into a run without a lot of practice, even though he strings up with .009s and I use .0105s. Getting your hand in position quickly to supply the necessary leverage, picking the strings simultaneously with the pick and a fingernail and bending the strings so that the notes stay in tune with each other throughout the bend (all lasting maybe a second or less) is a complex set of stuff to learn just to play a quick pair of notes, and you don't have time to think about it while improvising a lead. So while I agree with you that there are licks in that lead that would take some time to copy, there's nothing in there that a proficient guitarist would have trouble with, given a little time.radou said:But no one can convince me that there is not at least one (!) lick during these 24 minutes which requires a decent level of guitar playing technique.
Now Brent Mason...he's another story entirely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeJHnkUKg_M&mode=related&search=
Homework Helper
- 2,181
- 0
Guys nice choices, but how come nobody said anything about Liquid Tension Experiment, even though you guys mentioned Dreamtheater!
Here
Liquid Tension Experiment - Paradigm Shift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMTpigz4ww"
Liquid Tension Experiment - Acid Rain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWvrtA-UV0c"
Liquid Tension Experiment - Universal Mind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj9si72MJ2g"
Here
Liquid Tension Experiment - Paradigm Shift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMTpigz4ww"
Liquid Tension Experiment - Acid Rain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWvrtA-UV0c"
Liquid Tension Experiment - Universal Mind
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj9si72MJ2g"
Last edited by a moderator:
Homework Helper
- 3,149
- 8
[/QUOTE]turbo-1 said:That's true of everybody who has been playing long enough, though. There is stuff that I toss into bluesy leads that I've done for so long that they're second nature, and they come off really smooth. Once, after a lead that came off particularly well, a guitarist that I respect (and who is a FAR more skillful player overall) asked me "how do you do that bend?", and I had to guess which one he meant, so I said "this one?" and played a simple simultaneous full-stop bend on the G and B strings. That was it. He could pull it off with some difficulty because he doesn't have my hand strength, but he certainly couldn't incorporate that move into a run without a lot of practice, even though he strings up with .009s and I use .0105s. Getting your hand in position quickly to supply the necessary leverage, picking the strings simultaneously with the pick and a fingernail and bending the strings so that the notes stay in tune with each other throughout the bend (all lasting maybe a second or less) is a complex set of stuff to learn just to play a quick pair of notes, and you don't have time to think about it while improvising a lead. So while I agree with you that there are licks in that lead that would take some time to copy, there's nothing in there that a proficient guitarist would have trouble with, given a little time.
Now Brent Mason...he's another story entirely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeJHnkUKg_M&mode=related&search=
I get your point. Well, actually, after looking at the Brent Mason video, the metal-ish style does appear a bit dry, I must admit.
Great stuff, will try to get it.
Homework Helper
- 3,149
- 8
Cyclovenom said:Guys nice choices, but how come nobody said anything about Liquid Tension Experiment, even though you guys mentioned Dreamtheater!![]()
Here
Liquid Tension Experiment - Paradigm Shift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VMTpigz4ww"
One of the things I have on my hard disk, but never actually get to listen to it properly.
Last edited by a moderator:
Homework Helper
- 2,181
- 0
Another songs by one of the guitar virtuosos of our time
Yngwie Malmsteen - Black Star
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPtLcfkrPIE"
Yngwie Malmsteen - Acoustic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEJkMHdHhyg"
Now for the the early grunge movement.
Alice in Chains - Got me wrong (Couldn't find the unplug with Layne, but it's still pretty good)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_iuO-DG5r8"
Yngwie Malmsteen - Black Star
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPtLcfkrPIE"
Yngwie Malmsteen - Acoustic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEJkMHdHhyg"
Now for the the early grunge movement.
Alice in Chains - Got me wrong (Couldn't find the unplug with Layne, but it's still pretty good)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_iuO-DG5r8"
Last edited by a moderator:
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
You might want to look at Junior Brown. Some of his stuff has so much Hendrix influence, it's incredible!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFGeKu6guGk&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFGeKu6guGk&mode=related&search=
Homework Helper
- 3,149
- 8
turbo-1 said:You might want to look at Junior Brown. Some of his stuff has so much Hendrix influence, it's incredible!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFGeKu6guGk&mode=related&search=
Interesting! The thing that was even more interesting is the female rhythm guitar player to his left. That's a rare sight, cool!
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
That's his wife.radou said:Interesting! The thing that was even more interesting is the female rhythm guitar player to his left. That's a rare sight, cool!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
I haven't listened to most of the music that's been made over the last couple of decades (most of the little that I have heard struck me as vanilla, noise, or simply not music). Recently though, I came across this quite interesting piece that I'd like to share.
Crazy, by Gnarls Barkley - http://www.virginmedia.com/music/musicvideos/gnarlsbarkley_crazy_hi.php
Incidentally, the artist was inspired by the compositions of Ennio Morricone, who wrote the music for Il Buono, Il Brutto, Il Cattivo (TG, TB & TU), which also, if I recall correctly, appeared earlier in this thread (or the Youtube classics thread).
Crazy, by Gnarls Barkley - http://www.virginmedia.com/music/musicvideos/gnarlsbarkley_crazy_hi.php
Incidentally, the artist was inspired by the compositions of Ennio Morricone, who wrote the music for Il Buono, Il Brutto, Il Cattivo (TG, TB & TU), which also, if I recall correctly, appeared earlier in this thread (or the Youtube classics thread).
Homework Helper
- 3,149
- 8
Gokul43201 said:Crazy, by Gnarls Barkley - http://www.virginmedia.com/music/musicvideos/gnarlsbarkley_crazy_hi.php
The video won't load, at least not in my case.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,213
- 26
That's a pity. I really liked the opriginal video too - it has now been removed from youtube, but here's a performance at the Late Show - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSN-XqdJOic&mode=related&search=
Lyrics - http://www.lyricsmania.com/lyrics/g...sewhere_lyrics_28204/crazy_lyrics_308498.html
Lyrics - http://www.lyricsmania.com/lyrics/g...sewhere_lyrics_28204/crazy_lyrics_308498.html
Last edited:
fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
- 734
- 4
'Crazy' is really nice, I play it a lot.
Thank you evo for introducing me to 'Magnetic Fields', I can't believe I hadn't heard of them. The edgy music is great, and the voice - gorgeous! (I'd been thinking of mentioning 'In diesen heil'gen Hallen').
Some interesting female voices, the clips are fun to watch, too-
Kate Bush, Wuthering Heights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf-YKwyU2Qg&mode=related&search=
astrud Gilberto
Nouvelle Vague
Thank you evo for introducing me to 'Magnetic Fields', I can't believe I hadn't heard of them. The edgy music is great, and the voice - gorgeous! (I'd been thinking of mentioning 'In diesen heil'gen Hallen').
Some interesting female voices, the clips are fun to watch, too-
Kate Bush, Wuthering Heights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf-YKwyU2Qg&mode=related&search=
astrud Gilberto
Nouvelle Vague
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Desert Rose by Sting
youtube link deleted by Viacom
When are they going to realize this is free advertisement that encourages people to go out and buy CD's they might have never heard of otherwise?
youtube link deleted by Viacom
When are they going to realize this is free advertisement that encourages people to go out and buy CD's they might have never heard of otherwise?
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 12,042
- 2,342
has anyone mentioned the great romantic tune: "louie louie"? or "long tall sally, built for speed", I will not continue with the slightly risque lyrics, by 1955 standards, involving uncle john, which follow)? not to mention the unusually creative "little nash rambler", or as mr. ohnat put it; :"hinky dinky doo, was the highly interesting song that he sang".
Last edited:
Cyrus
- 3,246
- 17
There beat this:
Dear god make it stop make it stop!
Dear god make it stop make it stop!
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
cyrusabdollahi said:There beat this:
Dear god make it stop make it stop!
Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus
- 3,246
- 17
Love him or hate him, he had the best music videos ever made.
Smooth Criminal
Do the lean, do the lean,...there it is...
(
Richard pryor is in there!)
Thriller
Remember the Time
(eddie murphy, magic johnson)
Beat It
Billy Jean
You rock my world
(Chris Tucker, Kishaya Dudley, Marlon Brando, Michael Madsen, and Billy Drago.)
Bad
(Wesley Snipes, Roberta Flack ) -guy moonwalking on roller skates- priceless.
Smooth Criminal
Do the lean, do the lean,...there it is...
(Thriller
Remember the Time
(eddie murphy, magic johnson)
Beat It
Billy Jean
You rock my world
(Chris Tucker, Kishaya Dudley, Marlon Brando, Michael Madsen, and Billy Drago.)
Bad
(Wesley Snipes, Roberta Flack ) -guy moonwalking on roller skates- priceless.
Last edited:
Homework Helper
- 3,149
- 8
cyrusabdollahi said:There beat this:
Dear god make it stop make it stop!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSz022BXBMk"
Last edited by a moderator:
Schrodinger's Dog
- 840
- 7
Evo said:
How about The Russians and Fragile and The shape of my Heart and Seven days.
Fragile
Russians: very poetic inditement of the cold war.
Can't find a free play but the lyrics are great.
Seven Days lyrics
"Seven Days" was all she wrote
A kind of ultimatum note
She gave to me, she gave to me
When I thought the field had cleared
It seems another suit appeared
To challenge me, woe is me
Though I hate to make a choice
My options are decreasing mostly rapidly
Well we'll see
I don't think she'd bluff this time
I really have to make her mine
It's plain to see
It's him or me
Monday, I could wait till Tuesday
If I make up my mind
Wednesday would be fine, Thursday's on my mind
Friday'd give me time, Saturday could wait
But Sunday'd be too late
The fact that he's six feet ten
Might instill fear in other men
But not in me, The Mighty Flea (flee?)
Ask if I am mouse or man
The mirror squeaked, away I ran
He'll murder me in time for his tea
Does it bother me at all
My rival is Neanderthal, it makes me think
Perhaps I need a drink
IQ is no problem here
We won't be playing Scrabble for her hand I fear
I need that beer
Monday, I could wait till Tuesday
If I make up my mind
Wednesday would be fine, Thursday's on my mind
Friday'd give me time, Saturday could wait
But Sunday'd be too late
Seven days will quickly go
The fact remains, I love her so
Seven days, so many ways
But I can't run away
Monday, I could wait till Tuesday
If I make up my mind
Wednesday would be fine, Thursday's on my mind
Friday'd give me time, Saturday could wait
But Sunday'd be too late
Do I have to tell a story
Of a thousand rainy days since we first met
It's a big enough umbrella
But it's always me that ends up getting wet
And Shape of my heart, incidently it's the music at the end of Leon the movie.
He deals the cards as a meditation
And those he plays never suspect
He doesn't play for the money he wins
He doesn't play for the respect
He deals the cards to find the answer
The sacred geometry of chance
The hidden law of probable outcome
The numbers lead a dance
I know that the spades are the swords of a soldier
I know that the clubs are weapons of war
I know that diamonds mean money for this art
But that's not the shape of my heart
He may play the jack of diamonds
He may lay the queen of spades
He may conceal a king in his hand
While the memory of it fades
I know that the spades are the swords of a soldier
I know that the clubs are weapons of war
I know that diamonds mean money for this art
But that's not the shape of my heart
Thats not the shape, the shape of my heart
And if I told you that I loved you
Youd maybe think there's something wrong
Im not a man of too many faces
The mask I wear is one
Those who speak know nothing
And find out to their cost
Like those who curse their luck in too many places
And those who smile are lost
I know that the spades are the swords of a soldier
I know that the clubs are weapons of war
I know that diamonds mean money for this art
But that's not the shape of my heart
Thats not the shape of my heart
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Incubus
I miss you
Wish you were here
I miss you
Wish you were here
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Clannad - In Robin of Sherwood with Michael Praed
The Hooded Man
Together We
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpiJECA2MCE&mode=related&search=
Now is here (where he is killed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S2chCFBcaA&mode=related&search=
Clannad - Harry's game
The Hooded Man
Together We
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpiJECA2MCE&mode=related&search=
Now is here (where he is killed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S2chCFBcaA&mode=related&search=
Clannad - Harry's game
Last edited by a moderator:
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
The Cranberries - Linger
Last edited by a moderator:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 10,165
- 138
fi said:'Crazy' is really nice, I play it a lot.
Thank you evo for introducing me to 'Magnetic Fields', I can't believe I hadn't heard of them. The edgy music is great, and the voice - gorgeous! (I'd been thinking of mentioning 'In diesen heil'gen Hallen').
Some interesting female voices, the clips are fun to watch, too-
Kate Bush, Wuthering Heights
That's a great song!
But Faith Brown's version isn't bad, either..
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
Very nice tune. Meaningful lyrics, I wonder.Evo said:The Cranberries - Linger
Dolores O'Riordan certainly has a beautiful voice.
Cranberries - Dreams
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiGaNCSMpxM&NR
Last edited by a moderator:
Schrodinger's Dog
- 840
- 7
Speaking of Kate Bush:-
Hounds of Love. Very good.
Futurehead's version - different but also very good.
Really like this song as well. InMe: Firefly
Hounds of Love. Very good.
Futurehead's version - different but also very good.
Really like this song as well. InMe: Firefly
Last edited by a moderator:
marlon
- 3,779
- 11
cyrusabdollahi said:Love him or hate him, he had the best music videos ever made.
Smooth Criminal
Do the lean, do the lean,...there it is...(
Richard pryor is in there!)
Thriller
Remember the Time
(eddie murphy, magic johnson)
Beat It
Billy Jean
You rock my world
(Chris Tucker, Kishaya Dudley, Marlon Brando, Michael Madsen, and Billy Drago.)
Bad
(Wesley Snipes, Roberta Flack ) -guy moonwalking on roller skates- priceless.
Each single one of those video's is a piece of genius. I adore Michael Jackson.
Billie Jean. Pfff, one of the greatest songs EVER. What a beat .
marlon
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Daniel Petka
- · Replies 92 ·
- Classical Physics
- Replies
- 92
- Anton Alice
- · Replies 6 ·
- Classical Physics
- Replies
- 6
- JonnyG
- · Replies 4 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 4
- ZapperZ
- · Replies 7 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 7
- micromass
- · Replies 106 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 106
- strangerep
- · Replies 30 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 30
- icarus5
- · Replies 13 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 13
- Evo
- · Replies 91 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 91
- Stratosphere
- · Replies 3 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 3
- hypatia
- · Replies 108 ·
- Art, History, and Linguistics
- Replies
- 108