What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 587K views
GAaaaaD she is REALLY good! Epic. Her voice like really captures emotional pain...she is really talented. Listening to her today made me feel like I have a soul or something. -_- Dam endorphins.She is really very talented!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_sbQr2i3tQ

Good night Clarence.
 
HeLiXe said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYEDA3JcQqw

lisab said:
Adele is really great!

But don't listen to this one if you're going through heartbreak :frown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AW9C3-qWug

i love adele! :!)
 
OmCheeto said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_sbQr2i3tQ

Good night Clarence.

Oh, so sad to hear of his death :cry:!

I've never heard that song, Om. I like it a lot more than his Springsteen work (not to knock Springsteen).
 
lisab said:
Oh, so sad to hear of his death :cry:!

I've never heard that song, Om. I like it a lot more than his Springsteen work (not to knock Springsteen).

I'd never heard that song either until yesterday. I was never really what people would call "a fan", but for some reason, I liked Clarence the first moment I sensed his presence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knVbfhmME1g

I love friends.

ps. Yes. That is a weird video to watch, nearly 30 years later.
 
Jimmy Snyder said:
Dooby dooby do.
Do do do dee da.
Da da da da you ya.
:smile:

A wop bop a loo bop a wop bam boom
 
Most people have heard of "One Toke Over the Line", but these are nice, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH1DGcD1sro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=046zKTMo-8w
 
turbo-1 said:
Most people have heard of "One Toke Over the Line".
For those who have not, here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3ecDYxOkg
 
One of the best AKUS songs ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZORUsMbXdIU

Another version, with Dan Timinski on guitar and Jerry Douglas on Dobro. Gotta love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h80lbFuhsMU
 
Last edited:
turbo, can you tell me why i don't see more performers that know how to play the mic the way Krauss does?
 
Proton Soup said:
turbo, can you tell me why i don't see more performers that know how to play the mic the way Krauss does?
I can't tell you why. It's a basic skill that all live performers should know, though lazy singers probably want to lean on the skills of a sound-man. As a life-time stage performer with NO sound-man (most of the time) I learned to lean into the mic and back off the volume in order to get richness and bass response, and back off and really project to catch the upper registers. Leaning in and backing down the volume a bit gives you what's known as the proximity effect, which is very prominent in several Shure models and is carried to the peak (IMO) in some Sennheiser mics. I got my sister and her band hooked on the Sennheisers after using one to run a weekly open-mic jam. There were lots of Shure M-57s on sale after that!

BTW, you don't have to back away from the mic. Since most of the best vocal mics are somewhat unidirectional, you can continue singing and just turn away a bit. Alisson Krauss is a pro at that!
 
Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
I can't tell you why. It's a basic skill that all live performers should know, though lazy singers probably want to lean on the skills of a sound-man. As a life-time stage performer with NO sound-man (most of the time) I learned to lean into the mic and back off the volume in order to get richness and bass response, and back off and really project to catch the upper registers. Leaning in and backing down the volume a bit gives you what's known as the proximity effect, which is very prominent in several Shure models and is carried to the peak (IMO) in some Sennheiser mics. I got my sister and her band hooked on the Sennheisers after using one to run a weekly open-mic jam. There were lots of Shure M-57s on sale after that!

BTW, you don't have to back away from the mic. Since most of the best vocal mics are somewhat unidirectional, you can continue singing and just turn away a bit. Alisson Krauss is a pro at that!

she's sensational. a lot of what you mentioned there sounds like frequency response effects, which i really wasn't catching onto. what is noticeable to me, tho, are the fades. i assume she is doing this because she gets more dynamic range but better tonal quality by keeping the pressure from her diaphragm more or less constant, and turning away from the mic to adjust volume.
 
Proton Soup said:
she's sensational. a lot of what you mentioned there sounds like frequency response effects, which i really wasn't catching onto. what is noticeable to me, tho, are the fades. i assume she is doing this because she gets more dynamic range but better tonal quality by keeping the pressure from her diaphragm more or less constant, and turning away from the mic to adjust volume.
That's pretty much the plan. If you have a mic with a great proximity effect and is sensitive, yet resistant to overload, you can do a lot with a live stage mix. That gives you access to some pretty impressive dynamics without a sound-man holding your hand. Stage mixes are tricky unless you have some pretty skilled musicians on board, since you all have to guess what the crowd is hearing and bad guesses can sink you.

There is a lot of crap masquerading as "music" these days that relies on studio tricks, "auto-tune" and other crutches. When you listen to Alison Krause, you're getting the real thing. And yes, she is old-school and very skilled with a mic.
 
Sometimes, a cacophony, is visual music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYH2sofMS58

:-p
 
The outfit makes me not want to click...*throws mouse out the window*
 
Borek said:
cz-1cBfOCc4[/youtube][/QUOTE] I ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJZ8d9bE3oU
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
cz-1cBfOCc4[/youtube][/QUOTE] Th...a...leek :confused:? Love that song btw!
 
This is one of my favorite songs and videos ever! I hope it's okay that it is not in English, I like "World Music."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs7PL717lto
I have the lyrics and translation but cannot insert them as a graphic :/ so here is the English translation:
This is our last night together
Maybe the last time we make love
Let your body burn
Be as you feel tonight

Let's play all the games one by one
Let's sin continuously
Shush, don't talk, don't ask questions
Discover my secrets tonight

Come break free from your chains
Together let's be taken by love
Close your eyes
Let's fly breathless through the skies

The countdown has begun
Moment of separation is nearby
Let your body catch fire
Let's appreciate every minute
Let's break through all the taboos
Let's drink love slowly tonight


It's so much better in Turkish :-p
 
Last edited:
Pretty cool Baywax n_n the beat is really great and the vid is cool!
 
I'm sure I posted this previously, but it's one of my 10 favorites of all time.

http://www.trilulilu.ro/d2gg/1236a13f52aa1e

Of course, the subsonic cetaceous acoustics are only available on cd, via a nice subwoofer.

I should tag it this time; Farewell to Tarwathie, lest I lose it again.
 
I love this version of Let It Be from Across The Universe (movie).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ahe5IDVbzg

and Dear Prudence as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEXakVA87PA

<3