What is the Best Saxophone Song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3,151 replies · 587K views
I grew up in the sixties, so I am somewhat partial to music of that era. This is one of my favorites from 1969. I liked the sound of it when it first came out, but I never really listened to the words until many years later. It was the line "I am so afraid of dieing, before I dry the tears she's crying" that caught my attention and made me listen to the whole song. And it seems a somewhat fitting song to post for memorial day.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
TurtleMeister said:
I grew up in the sixties, so I am somewhat partial to music of that era. This is one of my favorites from 1969. I liked the sound of it when it first came out, but I never really listened to the words until many years later. It was the line "I am so afraid of dieing, before I dry the tears she's crying" that caught my attention and made me listen to the whole song. And it seems a somewhat fitting song to post for memorial day.



There was a lot of crossover between country-rock and pop back then. I too was a Glen Campbell fan in those days. He wasn't a huge favorite but I really liked some of his songs. And I remember his show being a favorite. But you can't talk about Campbell wiithout mentioning his biggest hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atHY8rDBhtI

I had to outgrow the hard rock phase before I would even admit that I used to like this stuff. :redface: Of that same genre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrlcGWRKZMo

My grandmother liked this one as much as I did. I thought that was pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ighSddnnaPE
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Imo, the best crossover song ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv6Vy4Hr30s
 
Amazing song,



I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I, I´ve built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Children get older
I'm getting older too...
I'm getting older too...

So, take this love, take it down
Oh if you climb a mountain and you turn around
If you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well the landslide will bring you down, down


I had to do some thinking to understand the lyrics.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
rootX said:
Amazing song,



I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I, I´ve built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Children get older
I'm getting older too...
I'm getting older too...

So, take this love, take it down
Oh if you climb a mountain and you turn around
If you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well the landslide will bring you down, down


I had to do some thinking to understand the lyrics.


One of my favorite songs, root :smile:. Makes me think of raising my daughter, and watching her become a strong, independent young woman.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
One of my favorite songs, root :smile:. Makes me think of raising my daughter, and watching her become a strong, independent young woman.
I can't imagine anyone but Stevie Nicks singing this. She wrote it for her father.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM7-PYtXtJM&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM7-PYtXtJM&feature=related
 
Last edited:
lisab said:
One of my favorite songs, root :smile:. Makes me think of raising my daughter, and watching her become a strong, independent young woman.

I also really love another father-daughter song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ58dTCNw3I

Both songs are just amazing!
 
Sometimes, random thoughts, make me think of random musical messages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pafY6sZt0FE

What a long, strange trip it's been...
 
OmCheeto said:
Sometimes, random thoughts, make me think of random musical messages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pafY6sZt0FE

What a long, strange trip it's been...

Us old hippies just keep on truckin. Strange indeed. :approve:
 
dlgoff said:
Us old hippies just keep on truckin. Strange indeed. :approve:

I'm in a joint right now, and the tender just asked me what my favorite song was. I pulled out something old and dear to me, and he played it through his smart phone through the joints audio system. It made me very happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl3i1GMuyeU

Then someone came up to the bar, and said "this is neat song". I told her that it was "pick your favorite song and they'll play it" night. So she told the tender her favorite song, and he played that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpr8WTqUZp4

Then I tried to get the tender to play his favorite song. He was elusive as always. But he said that I might like a song by someone named Melanie. Something about a key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MojZ6Ew0Vas

Technology has reinvented happy hour.

Gads I love this planet.

:smile:
 
I don't know where this came from. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY5i4-rWh44
 
dlgoff said:
Us old hippies just keep on truckin. Strange indeed. :approve:
She comes skimming through rays of violet. She can wade in a drop of dew. She don't come and I don't follow. Waits backstage while I sing to you.
 
turbo-1 said:
She comes skimming through rays of violet. She can wade in a drop of dew. She don't come and I don't follow. Waits backstage while I sing to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkKuhAxcH7g
 
For all PFers who are graduating now: Congrats!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI
 
My nephew is thirteen years old and just did his first real gig. He and his mother are soooooooo proud! :biggrin: He's the one playing lead guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CzzKTWQOvQ
 
This one is the absolute all time best piece of music ever recorded in the universe!

 
Last edited by a moderator:
mayhem7 said:
This one is the absolute all time best piece of music ever recorded in the universe!



:smile::smile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Eddie Vedder, "Longing To Belong" - wow, I love it -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgqmlFbroqE
 
lisab said:
Eddie Vedder, "Longing To Belong" - wow, I love it -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgqmlFbroqE

Ukuleles, cellos, and the story of everyone's life. How could that not be an instant classic.

:smile:

I'm unfortunately having a manly shot of hormones at the moment, and need someone to identify the song from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Vu7FbNYGY

I think it's really old.
 
Char. Limit said:
STYX



Styx has done a lot of great stuff; one of my favorite groups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fPQC4eRJuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm-Vh3j8sys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-1RNVvTThg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
Styx has done a lot of great stuff...

...but I say "Mr Roboto" doesn't qualify for "great" :-p
 
lisab said:
...but I say "Mr Roboto" doesn't qualify for "great" :-p

This is what I think of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAAa1YPcoV4
 
Adele is really great!

But don't listen to this one if you're going through heartbreak :frown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AW9C3-qWug